Author Topic: To many choices  (Read 530 times)

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
To many choices
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
I have been looking for a small revolver for concealed carry and general entertainment. I went to a gun show this past weekend and spoke with a friend of the family who was a dealer. From what he had on the table the two I liked the best were the Taurus mod 66 an Ruger sp101. I really liked the Taurus and he told me flat out that he can't keep them on the table. But none the less I have heard bad things about the quality. I have always been a Ruger man and know I would be happy with the sp101 but wasn't as fond of it as the Taurus.

Either way I would need new grips as neither were a good fit for my gorilla hands. I have yet to lay my hands on a S&W so I have no opinion there.

Would anyone care to share some wisdom with me in hopes of enlightement?

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: To many choices
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
The Ruger has a great reputation and its made in America.  For my money its a no brainer.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:25:29 AM »
I may not have 'gorilla hands' but I'm not a midget.  My Security Six grips are alright.  Could stand to be a bit bigger, but haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Buy a Ruger, you'll be happy.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:20:18 PM »
The SP101 with a 3" barrel is a great gun for self-defense in .357, and a fun plinker with .38s. It's solid and you can really depend on it. Stay away from the junk from South America. Ya get what you pay for.

I like those 2.5" and 3" K-frame Smiths even better!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:52:55 AM »
Ill go another route altogether and recomend an all steal J frame smith.
blue lives matter

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Some advice worth the price...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 05:11:18 AM »
Find a gun club or range that rents handguns and shoot your favorites before buying.

Do not buy a concealed carry weapon without trying it first. If you don't like it you won't practice with it, and if you don't practice it won't be worth spit when you really need it.

I am personally very partial to the .357 SP101 in 2 1/2" barrel length with some Hogue grips. But I'm the only one I know who is, so the lesson is that the choice is very much a personal one. That's why I say you need to try them out so that you have a good chance of being satisfied and eventually comfortable with shooting your choice.

Taurus quality is very spotty. Some very good, some very bad; if you get a good one, keep it. The bottom line is you take a chance. Ruger. S&W, Colt, Kimber, Springfield, all are much more consistently good, even excellent.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 05:37:36 AM »
I really like my 4" 357 GP 100 with fixed sights..............my favorite carry pistol.