Author Topic: replaceing the cylinder on 1858 Rem  (Read 787 times)

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
replaceing the cylinder on 1858 Rem
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
Just received a Uberti Remington New Navy.I put the hammer on half cock to remove the cylinder but what is the best way to replace the cylinder?It seems that one should just simply reverse the procedure  but I found that the clyinder doesn't fall back into place with the hammer on half cock.The owner's manual has no mention of reassembly.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Re: replaceing the cylinder on 1858 Rem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
The method I use is to just draw the hammer back enough to clear the cylinder and pull the pin and roll the cyclinder out to the right side. When installing the cylinder I stick a slot onto the lock bolt from the left side and draw the hammer back enough to clear and roll the cylinder in and stab the pin. With a little practice it is as fast as can be.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:19:07 PM »
Howdy Doody,
Thankyou for telling me how you reassemble the cylinder to the frame.I am trying to practice that procedure but I must admit,I am all thumbs at this point.Had to actually apply a little touch up blue to a little scratch that I installed  by being clummsy.
NRA Member

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »
If you don't do as Howdy says (replace from the left), you can replace the cylinder from the right, but you have to rotate the cylinder clockwise to cause the edges on the back of the cylinder to push the hand back into the frame, and some guns won't do it, depending on the hand spring strength and the edges, so the hand needs  help, using a stick or small tool or your finger to push it back out of the way.

The conversion cylinder by Kirst is designed to replace from the right, as there is a hand channel in the backplate.

The R&D conversion cylinder can go either side, by rotating in on the right, or rolling it from the left as Howdy Doody says.

By the way, Howdy, Howdy Doody, I don't miss California much, but I do miss the Western 3gun matches, there are none here around Tucson, but plenty of CAS/SASS matches.....Flint
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »
Gosh durn it Flint. There you go moving to Arizona and I was hoping to continue on with show and tell, by having you bring out some of your shooters each match, so I could see them. Well, maybe a couple years and retirement, and if I could only talk Heidi Doody into moving to Arizona, we could continue where we left off.

BTW, I am putting on a night BP shoot at 5 Dogs this May as a side match on Thursday well after dark. I sure wish you could make it. This is gonna be a blast, literally. I posted a couple pics of me at the night shoot at GFBJL on Cas City website in the darksiders section. That hooked me right there. The 5 Dogs club gave me permission to have a night BP shoot and I am going to have two stages and I hope to get a couple posses together. I will even supply the awards and they will be awesome :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
Thank you gentlemen,
I have been working on Howdy Doody's way and I am getting a system down pretty good so before long,I should have her down pat.Thanks again for your help.
NRA Member

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
Muskie, I have seen Clint Eastwoods Pale Rider movie a few times and he makes it looks so easy with those conversion cylinders on screen. Of course he has longer fingers than I do, plus I also love the cylinder holding loops he has on his leather belt too. Now if I could replace a 58 cylinder without looking at the gun at all and just staring ahead at bad guys, then I would really be able to say I had it down pat.  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody