Author Topic: deer carts  (Read 509 times)

Offline Mike357mag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
deer carts
« on: November 25, 2006, 01:02:47 PM »
I allready use a regular hand truck with 3 inch air filled tires.  This works ok but I thought the deer carts would spread the weight to the wheels better, with the cart it is about like using a wheelbarrow all the weight on the handles.  I thought of wider tires for going over muddy fields would be better than the solid  rubber wheels that most come with.  I may also build one since I have 2 tires (solid12 inch cam off a lawn mower), but my wife found a new in the box ameristep deer cart for 75.00 in a craft store of all places.  What wheels are better is their going to be much differnce compared to a regular hand truck.  Need advice quick before somebody else's wife convinces their husband to go to the craft store.

Thanks
Mike H

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: deer carts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »
My Dad and I have used two different home made carts and like them both.  The first one Dad made with conduit and two bicycle tires and was approx five feet long with a flat bed and a handle that came up about waist high.  The second was a welded tube cart with two bicycle tires that had the ends turned up.  I like them both but the one with the ends turned up was a little beter for going across creeks and washouts because it did not bottom out like the long flatbed type.  The pictures I see of Ameristep carts are of carts in a v shape.  The one we use the most has a flat bed that is approx four feet long and it has ends that are turned up to keep the deer from falling out.  The larger diameter tire is great for rough terrain.  As long as you center the weight over the axle  of the cart you will just be pulling or pushing the cart instead of carrying the weight AND pulling or pushing.