Author Topic: Casting Setup  (Read 651 times)

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Casting Setup
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:21:51 PM »

Here's how I set up so as to be able to cast indoors in my garage. Went to the builders' supply store and bought a bathroom exhaust fan. Built a box big enough to house the lead pot. Put the fan on top of the box and vented it to the outside. Welded an extension on the trip lever so I could reach it under the curtain.  Flux the melt, hang the curtain on the box, and work without worrying about inhaling lead fumes. The pot is a Magma Master Pot and has a bottom feed.

If I had it to do over I would build the box about six inches taller as the top of it gets pretty hot after a couple of hours.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Casting Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:49:44 PM »
I looks like good air flow around it.

I found that in the hot summer the thermostat wasn't cooled the same as it was in the cool of winter - so I had to crank it up all the way in the summer to maintain a constant temperature in the pot.

It doesn't look like you'll have much constriction there to cause the same problem.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline wills

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Casting Setup
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
You do not need to do all that.  Lead does not give off toxic vapors at casting temperatures.  The contamination danger you should be concerned with is ingestion.  Wash your hands before eating, don’t let any food near your casting area.