Author Topic: Help with new .243 barrel?  (Read 516 times)

Offline rvjd4

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with new .243 barrel?
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
Hi,
I am new to this board and a handi rifle owner. I have a .223 bull barrel that I like real well. I heard about the barrel offer so I sent in the receiver to have a new .243 bull barrel fitted. I also had a trigger job done while it was there. The new trigger is great.

I mounted a Leopold EFR 3x9 Vari X III and boresighted it. I did the proper break in procedures but found it was hitting 3ft high and 3 ft to the right at 50 yds. I used all the adjustments on the scope and it still hits high and right. When I look down the bore the line of sight is way off from the crosshairs. I have tried different ammo and checked the rings and base. It shoots nowhere near where it is pointed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what it may be and how to alleviate it?

Thanks

Offline safetysheriff

Re: Help with new .243 barrel?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
i use Millet Angle-Loc's, for example, which are windage-adjustage rings on my rifles.    if they are not properly centered over the axis of the bore then i can see where i'd have problems like you now have.

is your base properly lined up with the bore?    are you rings PROPERLY put into place, centered over the bore/chamber of your Handi', with the bottom halves tightened down securely before the scope is seated in them?    are you tightening the top halves of the rings in multiple steps so that they are being tightened down 'together' --- in effect.     in other words, don't tighten one ring down solid before doing so with the other.    go back and forth between the rings and tighten them a little at a time, alternately.   

hope this helps,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:53:49 PM »
You have a big misalignment problem. Your Front mount or ring is 0. 080" to far to the  left and 0.080" too low. You should only use a minimal amount of you scope adjustment. That is to keep your x-hairs in the optical center as much as possible.

You could also have a bent barrel or misaligned screw holes.

Get somebody that know how to mount a scope properly.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline rvjd4

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
I have rechecked the mount and rings and they are mounted securely. I have been mounting scopes for many years and have never had a problem like this. I think it may be the barrel from NEF. The old .223 barrel lines right up and shoots great. No alignment problems at all. The new .243 barrel has been a big problem.

I will email NEF and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
One thing I'd try.  After havint a 280 barrel that was bored OFF CENTER from the factory, I'd use the longest cleaning rod you have and slide it down the bore from breech to muzzle.  Look at it from above and you might be able to see if it looks off center.  The barrel might actually be bored the wrong way.

There, that said, are you sure there is not an alignment issue with the base?  Are the holes drilled at a side to side angle?  Even if off slightly, this will make it impossible to align the crosshairs.

Not to insult you, but are the scope rings on correctly?  I've seen them mounted opposite (one correctly, one reversed) don't ask where ;D I saw this, but it does happen.  This will throw it WAYYY off.   Good luck.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline rvjd4

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:58:39 AM »
Just to update you I spoke to NEF customer service this morning. I explained the situation to them and they said it sounds like the barrel. I have to send it back in and they may have to make a new barrel. It sounds like they will stand behind it and take care of the problem.

Thanks!
 :)

Offline rvjd4

Re: Help with new .243 barrel? UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 04:41:14 AM »
 ???

After inspecting the barrel further it looks as though it is drilled off center. I was looking at the crown and to the naked eye it looked to be off center. I got out my micrometer and measured the ctc. That is the problem that has caused all of this, the barrel is drilled off center. How does something like that get by quality control??
I was thinking about having another barrel fitted in another caliber while they make a new .243 barrel. What calibers have you all had good or bad luck with? I am a little nervous to have another one made after this last fiasco.

Thanks

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:16:26 AM »

These things happen from tme to time with any company...be it NEF-Remington-Savage-Weatherby-Sako...It's a pain...but it does happen......But... have no doubts about the fine folks at NEF making things right for you,cause they will...Out of all of the ones I've owned...I have never had that problem..Some of the best barrels I've had have been the 243 Bull Barrels...25-06...270 Ultra Comps..280...30-30...30-06 Ultra Comps..45-70...The Ultra Comps are out of stock and no longer made...but the others they can fit for ya...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...