Author Topic: Shooting from different supports places bullets differently  (Read 565 times)

Offline alsatian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shooting from different supports places bullets differently
« on: November 27, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
I believe I have experienced my rifles placing bullets differently depending upon how the rifle is supported.  Additionally, I have read various others saying that shooting from a very hard support will make a rifle shoot high and they advise using a buffer, such as a rolled up soft jacket, between the hard support and the rifle.

I zeroed my two .30-06 rifles from a firm support comprising a small sandbag filled with lead shot sitting on top of a metal shooting platform.  I then began shooting both rifles from a sitting position, resting my elbows on the middle of my thighs.  The bullets from both rifles went to a substantially different point on the target, about 2" to 3" low.  Additionally, I have also found that shooting from fiberglass wands that my bullets shoot substantially higher, maybe 3" to 4" higher.

What has been your experience?  I'm bringing this up because I don't understand why this should be the case.  Also, I do not like this and would prefer that I discover there is some fault in my shooting technique rather than that the rifle responds differently to different support means.

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shooting from different supports places bullets differently
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:54:03 AM »
Absolutely it will. In my opinion the bigest reason for this has to do with the ballance point of the rifle. If it is resting at the center of the balance point it will recoil upward more than if it is resting at the end of the stock. More weight on the end of the rifle this way and it "rocks" differently durring recoil. Just my .$02,    KN

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Shooting from different supports places bullets differently
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »
Going to agree with KN.  Also, depending on whether you 'rest' your rifle or just use the rest to 'steady' yourself makes a difference.  I have watched many fellas at the range 'rest' their rifles/shotguns on the handguard portion of the stock and grasp only the handle (and lightly at that) when they touched off a round - those shots usually print higher as the firearm is already recoiling while the bullet is travelling down the barrel, especially when there is no control on the front of the rifle or shotgun. 

When you are in a sitting position you have firm control over your rifle and are just using your thighs as a support for your elbows. 

Shooting sticks - I do not use those as I won't have any control over the rifle because my forward hand is holding the sticks, not the rifle stock.  If the sling is included in the grasp of the sticks you may have better control. 

Here is what I have noticed:  If I have a firm hold on the rifle and rest my hand on my shooting rest I can get a better zero and accuracy as good as I can get.  If I do not use my hand and just rest the forestock on my shooting rest my groups go to patterns, or at least hit high.  For example:  I took my 6.5 Swede to the range for a final sight-in before season.  Dang thing shot high and I couldn't figure it out.  Then I realized it was me and not the rifle - the Swede shoots so sweetly that I didn't even grip the forestock, just rested it and that was my problem.  When I corrected myself she was shooting as she should.  HTH.  Mikey.