Author Topic: ffl  (Read 575 times)

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
ffl
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
does anyone know what it takes to get a ffl? i am disabled and love to mess with guns. don't fuss about me being disabled because i get to go on some hellish hunts, specials draws, and i am doing more hunting now than i ever did. just tired of high prices and having to pay another ffl holder. would work out of my home. would be a nice past time and with no over head i could help out the working hunter. richard   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ffl
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »
Google FFL, there are several internet sites that offer info on obtaining an FFL, here's one.

Tim

http://federalfirearmslicense.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:02:09 PM »
Your chances are somewhere between slim and none with it being close to none.

You MUST have a REAL business with real BUSINESS HOURS. Back in the day you used to be able to do it out of your home IF you had a totally separate entracnce and the area wasn't living quarters. Today I don't think you'll ever get one approved that way. Besides IF you did you'd be opening up your entire house to their unannounced inspections at any time for any reason.

You MUST be a stocking retail dealer. You cannot get an FFL just to buy your stuff at reduced prices. You really DO NOT want to go this route unless you actually plan to open a store and run it like a store five or more days a week.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 01:47:41 AM »
Unfortunately Graybeard is correct.  It's kind of akin to becoming a licenced physician in order to save money on your personal medical expenses.  I'm just not sure if it would be worth the expense and trouble unless you planned on selling several guns a month or became a licenced gunsmith and took in several guns a month to work on for clients.  Liability insurance alone would negate any savings you might see just buying guns for your personal use.  The laws and regulations are designed specifically to discourage folks from getting FFLs in order to save money on personal firearm purchases.  Unless you live out in the boondocks you probably would not even be able to get a business permit from the local officials to run a gun shop out of your home let alone get an FFL from the Feds. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 02:53:46 AM »
You could go for your C&R FFL

It doesnt allow you to buy new guns but it does allow you collect old stuff and a lot of companies will give you dealer rates on stuff because you have it.

I have paid for mine many times over with just discounts.

Kid

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »
This bit about a storefront operation is not totally true.  The individual that holds MY FFL (receives and ships guns for me) operates out of his home, he has mostly a computer based and gun show business.  He and I had a long talk about this a while back when I told him I was thinking of getting a FFL, he said it is still possible to get a license without a storefront operation, only problem, you subject your home to an open door policy, making it available 24-7 if someone wants to inspect it. 

As I understand, even a home based business must have operating hours.  They can be from 6pm to 7pm, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  You aalso have to have a mailing address other than a post office box.

After sopme research on the internet, I found what he told me was true.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, but after talking to my ffl guy I decided against it for now.

He operates out of his house also. He said the feds definately discourage people from getting an ffl for personal use, they want a legitimate business, and Graybeard is correct, it won't pay to only buy yourself guns.

It is also true you have to waive your right to a search warrant, they can come in your house anytime they want. I think that is the main reason against getting one.

I may apply at some time. I was considering taking gunsmithing courses and will need one eventually.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline gunblade

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »
I've had an FFL for 17 years and have always worked out of my home and at gun shows...never had a store front, never had to prove whether I was a stocking dealer or not, don't have a seperate entrance and the ATF has only contacted me one time, over the phone, to trace one rifle.  The only liability insurance I carry additional to my homeowner's policy is a business clause that protects me if someone is injured on my property while there to purchase a firearm..it also covers my firearms when they are out of my home, such as at a gun show.  It cost's me an extra eighty-five bucks a year.  I let my llicense expire once but when I reapplied I had no problem geting another.  I've moved three or four times and have applied for amended licenses and have received them in a timely manner with no problem whatsoever.   I've always found the local ATF agents to very helpful when I've called them with a question about transferring a firearm.   Having an FFL doesn't equate to "waiving your rights"...you are simply agreeing to allow an ATF inspector to review your records and inventory if they request to do so.  If you are truthful on your application, comply with the requirements, keep good acurate records, and conduct your business in a LEGAL and responsible fasihon, there's no reason you should fear having an FFL if that's what you want to do.  As has been noted, you must be engaged in the business of buying and selling firearms, not simply to enhance your own personal collection, although you may certainly purchase firearms for yourself with your FFL and transfer them into your personal collection.   Just my experience...your milage may vary.