Author Topic: Heated socks  (Read 607 times)

Offline toecutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Heated socks
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
Don't know where else to put this and since I'll be wearing them while deer hunting, I figured I'd try here.  Just wondering if anyone out there uses them or for that matter, has used them in the past.  Thanks in advance!!

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Heated socks
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:43:30 AM »
I assume you are talking about electric socks, those that are run by a battery pack.  I have chronic cold feet and have tried every way to keep them warm on cold days in the blind.  If I keep moving I never have any problems with cold feet.  While it has been a number of years ago and they may have improved them by now they didn’t seem to do any good for me.  The only way I have found to keep my feet warm is to get a cheap sleeping bag and pull it up about waist high.  While this does somewhat limit my movement most of my stands are constructed with a stout all-a-round  shooting rail and I would have to work hard to fall out of one.
RJ

Offline CallaoJoe

• ShomeOutdoors
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:30:22 AM »
I buy those cheap self adhesive toe warmers at Wally world.  The ones shaped like an arch, and have a sticky back.  Anyway.  Wear two pairs of socks, and stick a warmer to the first sock you put on under yer toes, then put a nice wool sock over this one.  For boots, I've got a nice pair of Irish Setter pack boots.  This combo has kept my feet completely warm in sub-zero temps on many occasions.  Usually, I can wear em all day, and my feet stay warm.  I wouldn't wanna mess around with batteries & such.  You just chuck the used warmers away when yer done with em.  They usually come 2 to a pack for about $3.  So, for $1.50 a day you can keep yer feet toastie warm, which compared to all the other things we spend money on to hunt with, it's a bargain...  For instance, $35 a bottle doe urine.... ???

Best way to kill a deer is to be out in the woods when they walk by, and havin warm feet will keep you out there longer.
When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms
with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Steven Wright

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »
Thanks guys, I've been having a real hard time finding anyone who has any posetive feedback on those socks.  I guess I'll just stick to the heat packs and wrap my feet while in the blind.  Thanks again and good luck this season!!

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »
Had customers return the heated socks, said the heat was very vague and hardly distributed over the area of the foot.  In any case, give those big, fluffy, boot warmers a try.  You take your boots off and put your feet in them in the stand, apparently they are as warm as the Bahamas.. Hadn't had a chance to try them myself, yet.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"