Author Topic: Chopping Barrel Off of a NIB S&W 25-2 ---- Crime or Not?  (Read 827 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Chopping Barrel Off of a NIB S&W 25-2 ---- Crime or Not?
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »
In 1972 or '73 I purchased a S&W Model 25-2 with a 6" barrel in 45 caliber.  This gun became an instant 'safe queen' having never left the confines of the safe.  I've been considering having the barrel hacked off to 2 1/2" to transform it into a carry gun.  Is this a crime against civilized behavior?

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Bob Riebe

Re: Chopping Barrel Off of a NIB S&W 25-2 ---- Crime or Not?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
Crime - no, but I hope you plan on keeping the gun because you willl never get back the purchase price.
Bob

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
Not a crime but it is seriously dumb. If you don't want it sell it to someone who does and buy you a more appropriate carry gun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Bill, sorry that you responded when you were in a bad mood.  Nevertheless, I understand your position.

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »
Don't chop.  Sell and shop.  Or, shop and sell but don't chop, pray tell. 

Call Smith & Wesson see if the barrel they can lessen.  They always give the old barrel back, so you got no need to saw and hack.  You can always return it to the style of years past without a new buyer looking agast.

Just my honest opinion.  Mikey.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:02:09 AM »
In 1972 or '73 I purchased a S&W Model 25-2 with a 6" barrel in 45 caliber.  This gun became an instant 'safe queen' having never left the confines of the safe.  I've been considering having the barrel hacked off to 2 1/2" to transform it into a carry gun.  Is this a crime against civilized behavior?

Jay

Jay, I read your post about 3 times and find that you have answered your own question. First off, the gun is an old one purchased in 72 or 73, next it's in a caliber that there's not many around. Then you said it had turned into a "safe queen" which I presume that it's a special pistol or you wouldn't have said that.

Read your question and you will find the answer you're looking for, which is "no".

Just go buy a carry pistol or if you want to transform a good gun into one not worth much, trade it in on a carry pistol as there's others that would like to own it the way it is.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:30 AM »
Mikey and Almtnman you both speak with thoughtfulness and maturity.  Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinions and transmit to me some solid input that upon reflection has totally erased my thoughts of hacking on this gun.  Many of my collection was purchased after Service '71, many have not created their own "report" (powder discharge) to date.  This creates somewhat of a conumdrum, do I use these guns for the reason that I had purchased them or do I now show them their due respect of age by not marring up their finnish; using them at the range or in the field?

I will have to decide on a case by case fashion.

Thanks again,

Jay

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:49 AM »
I feel your pain. I have a 25-2 of similar vintage. Long before they became collector's items, I had the barrel chopped to 5". He did a good enough job it looks like a factory barrel length. It also has a narrow, smooth trigger and a Performance Center action job. I have measured the chamber throats at .455", but it still shoots .452" bullets very well.
I have seen 25-2s chopped to 2 1/2" or 3". It usually looks like a butcher job. If the factory has a short barrel, that would work. Or consider a second gun. The 625 was made in 3" or so. A stainless gun makes a better carry gun.
With something the size of an N frame Smith, not much is gained by reducing a 4" barrel to 3" in carrying convenience. Perhaps you could consider a 4" 625. They are current production.
Tom

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:37:42 AM »
Tom C., you have suggested another viable alternative.  As I review my inventory I realize that I certainly do not ""need"" any additional carry guns, it is just the desire to increase the size of my collection.  As most of us know, each gun is unique and has a place in our safes.  I have already began to purchase addtional guns, in fact I never stopped purchasing guns, much to the dismay of my financial analyst.

Jay

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 03:17:10 AM »
At pewsent there sits a S&W 1917 in the pawn shop safe that has been cut to 3in. I plan on taking it home and look for a original barrel to put it back to original, B-4 I cut it I would look for another barrel to cut or have the Manu. give me some options as you are the owner and any decision as to the outcome is yours. 8)   JIM

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 03:18:15 AM »
I have already began to purchase addtional guns, in fact I never stopped purchasing guns, much to the dismay of my financial analyst.

Jay

Jay, I don't know who your financial analyst is, maybe the other half as that's the way it is here, but they are not seeing the big picture. Take for instance, the S&W Model 25-2 that you purchased in 72 or 73, let your financial analyst take a look at what you paid for just that one gun back then and what it's worth today and I'm thinking there will be a big financial increase just on that one gun.

Buying quality name brand guns has always been a financial gain for me, noy money wise, but what they will sell for at a later date in case buying them was as an investment purpose.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »
Almtnman,

You are correct regarding the majority of the guns that have increased in terms of real dollars since the time of my "investment" in the guns.  And I am glad to say, that some of my "investments" in guns have outdone my investment in equities by a good margin.  My financial analists major complaint about my investment in guns, is a valid one, he is fully aware that I will NOT sell my guns during my lifetime, but rather will have my estate sell them if that is what they decide after my passing.  My ex-wife has some, but little interest, although she can shoot better than most men can.

Offline ironfoot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
It is a crime.
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:38 PM »
I do occasionaly carry an n frame for ccw. But to hack up a gun to make a gun that is not exceptionaly good for anything isnt right.
blue lives matter