Author Topic: Nosler seconds ??  (Read 688 times)

Offline tuxdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Nosler seconds ??
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:24:27 AM »
I'm not sure if it was one of these threads or on another site, but I remember seeing something about nosler selling their seconds, or the failed qc bullets...

Does anyone know about that??

Thanks

Tux

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Nosler seconds ??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:44 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tuxdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:00:56 PM »
Thanks very much for the link Quick ;D!!!

Offline CelticCross

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 03:03:28 AM »
Quick,  How do the 2nd shoot?? And how do you use them??  ( just for load development, or for actual shooting, hows accuracy??)
Thanks. Ryan

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:06:04 AM »
They shoot excellent, and from all reports on other boards, they perform no different from the full priced version, just cost a lot less! I can see no difference in them, I haven't weighed any, but I suspect they're out of Nosler's tolerance for weight, but I can see no difference in how they look or shoot, I've shot a bunch of the Partitions, Accubonds and Ballistic Silver Tips, full retail and seconds, both are extremely accurate. The last batch was fire forming 50 rounds of 280 Improved using the 150gr Nosler Partition with start loads, most of the rounds went into less than 2" which had more to do with my not trying for a great groups since I was just fire forming, not load developement, but even then, the accuracy was acceptable for hunting.

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »
They shoot great,I've shot the 2nds in ballistic tips and this summer tried the 30cal 150gr accubond in my 06.They did so well that I used them to shoot a buck with.Also shot 3 shot groups of .392 with accubond 2nds.Only thing is the shipping is kind of high from them and you need to order more than a couple bags to make it worthwhile.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:35:13 AM »
dw06 makes a good point, but I have yet to make an order for less that 100 bullets, their prices are too good to pass up, even with shipping, the cost of 100 bullets isn't much more than the cost of 50 bullets at retail cost, let alone if you pay shipping too!! My last order was for 100 .358" 200gr Accubonds, they sell for $30+ a box of 50 elsewhere, they're only $14 for 50 at the Nosler shop, so 100 cost me just a tad more with shipping than 50 would retail!

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:38:35 AM »
Tims right,I always start out intending to order maybe a couple bags,then like a kid in a candy store end up with 6-10 bags.Oh well you save more that way.Give them a try and you will be back for more!Tim,I see it is now 22 more till the BIG 10K!!Early congrats and thanks for all you do!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:43:59 AM »
It is NOT really correct to call these bullets "seconds" in that the quality of them is exactly equal to what you pay full price for. All the bullet makers do this same thing. What they are is they are COSMETIC BLEMS.

On each there is some strictly cosmetic reason why it didn't make the grade to be a full priced bullet. It has absolutely no effect on accuracy or use of the bullet. If you gotta have beautiful bullets pay full price, if less than beautiful will work OK for you as long as they perform then look into the blems from anyone.

Both Nosler and Sierra sell them at their plants. I think Hornady pretty much always sells theirs to  GBO Sponsor Midsouth Shooter's Supply and then they sell them at marked down prices. Hornady apparently would rather take a bit less for them and not have to make inidividual sales.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!