Author Topic: WWI French Taupia Mortar  (Read 1183 times)

Offline copdoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
WWI French Taupia Mortar
« on: December 03, 2006, 02:29:04 AM »
Here is a replica of a WWI French Taupia mortar.  It was an improvised "trench mortar" used in WWI.  It is more of a grenade launcher.  I have read that both grenades and improvised bombs were used.  The French built them from German projectiles and artillery cases. The only originals I have pics of appear to be made from projectiles and this makes more sense.  In 1914 the French took older muzzle loading bronze mortars from museums and other places to use.  The Brits had improvided mortars also using German AP projectiles.  All were eventually replaced by the Stokes.  I did not use an original projectile as that would be wrong to destroy one and not as safe to fire.  This one is steel bored solid with a powder chamber.  I made the bore 3" (3.10") so that it could shoot the projectiles as my Burgundian howitzer.  I have found a piece of steel and will start on the British version one of these days.

Hope you guys and girls enjoy it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: WWI French Taupia Mortar
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 03:26:10 AM »
Impressive.  Must be FUN to shoot too.

I have a problem though, which means in reality you have a decision to make.

BATF rules, federal law, state that it's OK to own/buiild it if it's a model of 1898 or before.

Our rules of the forum LIMIT the discussion/posting of models/designs to fit within that law.

Surely there is a precursor to that model (that looks JUST like it) that was built before 1899. 

IF that's the case this would be appropriate here, and with the BATF.  If not, you may have a problem with the BATF which has SERIOUS ($10k/10years) consequences.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,64738.0.html

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,16901.0.html
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:37:23 AM »
It is fuse fired.  A mechanishism of the type used prior to 1898 and does not fired "fixed ammunition".  They are the same as the model cannon.  They are not exact replicas either.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 05:42:53 AM »
This thing is a coehorn with an updated carriage and projectile...even if the tube was made after 1898 it's still a replica. Tim I think this is good to go!

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 06:18:15 AM »
It actually really is a copy of the Coehorns and the other mortars that the French pulled from the museums in WWI.  That apparently gave them the idea for these.  They needed anything they could get because the Germans, as always, had the best equipment.  One of the British versions used a cut down No1 Mk3 Lee Enfield to launch the projectile.  Cutting down a Enfield would require and C3 mfg license and (the Enfield) would become a dealer sample AOW.  Not worth the expense.  if I build one it will be fuse fired or percussion fired. 

Well I'll avoid discussions and pics of WWI and later devices.

copdoc

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »
It actually really is a copy of the Coehorns and the other mortars that the French pulled from the museums in WWI.  That apparently gave them the idea for these.  They needed anything they could get because the Germans, as always, had the best equipment.  One of the British versions used a cut down No1 Mk3 Lee Enfield to launch the projectile.  Cutting down a Enfield would require and C3 mfg license and (the Enfield) would become a dealer sample AOW.  Not worth the expense.  if I build one it will be fuse fired or percussion fired. 
copdoc

Excellent clairification!  (And DD & I are in agreement.)  I raised the issue, because we've often seen copies of the 60mm/81mm etc mortars which are developments of the mortar Stokes designed in about 1914.  It is for these that people that have made black--power firing copies have been convicted and sentenced.  Pardon me if I flashed on the WWI.

copdoc - you have some great background (from the PM) and knowledge; we welcome your sharing this.  It is a healthy thing to have this discussion (it seems annually) here because there is much hear-say and yet the issue is very personal when it comes to the enforcement of the law.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »
Here is an "action shot" of the Taupia.  The web page it was on has deleated it but I saved the pic.
Tim you are right, "real life action shots" are hard to come by.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 12:59:43 AM »
Looks like it's in a trench.  Not a pleasant place to be unless you consider not being in a trench.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired