Author Topic: JB for barrel break in  (Read 436 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
JB for barrel break in
« on: December 11, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »
Hello, in the barrel break in procedure the writer talks about using JB to polish the barrel. What is JB and where do I buy it? Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: JB for barrel break in
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:52:47 PM »
Charlie, there's 2 kinds of JB,  non-embedding bore compound and  Bore Bright, I've used both, as well as USP paste, Maas, Simichrome and Flitz, they'll all work, get what you have locally, the metal polishes can be found at your local supermarket in the laundry/cleansers section, usually. The Bore Bright is probably the finest grit, if you can call it that, toothpaste is probably more abrasive!! The most important issue it to use a bore guide and be carefull at the muzzle. I do the work from the chamber end with one of the conical bore guides on the rod to center the rod in the bore. Use a solid rod, not a 3 piece. Be careful pulling the jag tip back thru the muzzle, it's not hard to damage the crown. Same if you use a bore mop, although I prefer to remove the mop to pull it back thru if I do a full stroke out the muzzle. Lately I've refined my technique to make full strokes all the way to the muzzle, mark the rod so I know when to stop without exiting the muzzzle and pull it all the way back to the throat and repeat, changing the patch about every 10 strokes and adding polish every 5 or so strokes. That helps speed up the process.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1160&title=J-B%7e+NON-EMBEDDING+BORE+CLEANING+COMPOUND

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1161&title=J-B%7e+BORE+BRIGHT
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »
Should I be able to get a bore guide at any place I buy gun cleaing supplies?
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
The Kleenbore are usually available in a lot of places, Sportsman's Warehouse carries them, I think they make a nylon one too.

Tim

http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product376.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
Here's an out of focus pic of the Kleenbore rod with nylon guide in the chamber, I cut a third off one side so it will fit on top of the ejector/extractor when the barrel is all the way open, if you don't the rod won't be centered which isn't a problem with a large bore, but on the smaller bores, the rod might rub the top of the throat/neck area.

Tim