Author Topic: Uberti 1858 loads  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Boomer68

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti 1858 loads
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
I just recently bought one of these and so far have tried 30grs Pyrodex P with Speer RB and CCI #11 caps. The loads are all over the place and caps blow off the nipples. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Re: Uberti 1858 loads
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
First of all, try No. 10 caps.

Next, start with about 15 gr of FFFg and work your way up to 30 gr in 5 gr increments; shoot 5-6 rounds/load from a bench rest. Once you find the best group, try changing up and down from that in 2 gr increments. Use the load that gives the best accuracy, probably about 20-22 gr.

You didn't say what caliber the gun was, nor what size ball. Are you getting a small ring of lead shaved off the ball when you load it into the cylinder?

Consider changing to 777 or real black powder. I don't personally believe that will matter much, but anything is possible.

Offline Boomer68

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »
It is .44 cal and I was lead to believe that Pyrodex needs #11 caps. What is the difference?
The balls are 138gr and .451 dia. It is a snug fit when seating.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:33:03 PM »
Caps are designated by number (#10, #11, etc) by size, not the powder they are intended to ignite.

There are "Magnum" caps, meant for Pyrodex because it's harder to ignite, but I have used standard caps with no problem except I have found Pyrodex a much better cartridge propellant than Muzzle loader or Cap & Ball.

#11 caps are too large for your gun's nipples if they blow off.  30 gr of powder should not blow the caps off nipples unless the flash holes are too large, the caps are too large, or the hammer spring is too light.  Try # 10 caps.  CCI are a tiny bit smaller than Remington caps, try both for fit.

I would not use 30 gr of 777 in a Remington, but real BP or Pyrodex is OK, but probably max.  Try 20 to 24 gr, and try something that burns better than Pyrodex in a front stuffer.  Real Black Powder Goex or 777, Cleanshot, or other substitute.

You need more than just a snug fit, the seating of a ball should shave off a ring of lead as it seats.  Try .454 balls.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Boomer68

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Flint. I ordered some nipples from Track of the Wolf (PIR-A Ampco bronze) and they are rated for #11 caps.  I will try a lower charge and see how things improve.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:09:10 AM »
.457 balls work the best in "my" 1858.  I also load 25 or 30 grains 777 and a wonder wad between powder and ball.  I've used 11 caps with no problems.  30 grains is warm, but keep in mind, this gun will take replacement cylinders that are designed for smokeless ammo...but one should NEVER load smokeless ammo with the issued cylinder!!!!!!!!  But I've found 30 grains (my hunting load) not to be excessive.

Caps are designed to bannana peel back, and to fall away when you cock the hammer for subsequent shots.  The old timers elevated the muzzles of their pistols when cocking the hammer, so the cap would fall away outside the pistol and not down into the hammer recess.

Dan

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 02:33:30 PM »
.454 Hornady balls, 27 gr of Pyrodex P, lubed felt wad between the powder and ball. works best in mine so far. Very accurate at 25 yards to the point of minute of 50 gal garbage can (don't expect much more!).