Author Topic: Do we have any linguists in this forum?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Do we have any linguists in this forum?
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
Santa Dave was gifted with a stuffed little Santa Claus-- when you squeeze his right hand he sings "Jingle Bells" but when you squeeze his left heand he sings "Cascabel, casabel", I think maybe it's "cascavel" (Spanish for Jingle bell?) If not he's a true cannoneer, just like
Santa Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Do we have any linguists in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 01:45:05 PM »
Was this what you heard? campanas del cascabeleo That is spanish for jingle bells at least according to an on line translator.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Do we have any linguists in this forum?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
From Wikipedia discussing the Mexican pepper of the same name:  Its name is a Spanish word for "small bell" or "rattle".

From a Geocities site:  "Cascabel" in Spanish means "jingle bells", and the chili pepper gets its name from the fact that when dried, shaking the pepper makes the seeds inside the pod to rattle.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill