Author Topic: Moutain Molds Custom Molds  (Read 665 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
Moutain Molds Custom Molds
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:17:16 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with this firm?

Offline 475/480

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Moutain Molds Custom Molds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »
I have many of his moulds -aluminum,iron and brass,they are well made and cast very good bullets.
 You have to design the bullet yourself on his website.I like aluminum for big heavy bullets 400-500gr WFNGC in calibers  475 Max and SW 500, 500 Linebaugh

Sean

Offline bufflobob

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:48:14 AM »
lgm270
Yes -- likewise have several --- maybe about 8 or 9 - mainly in aluminum and one brass, all for paper patch. All very good, especially like the brass one - for a 50-140. Have yet to try any of his in steel, but should be just as accurately milled. All drop cleanly and as most of mine I cast with hotter nearly pure lead, I should point out none have warped, for casting pure lead he does now recommend using steel blocks. Currently he's suspended production as he's building his new home / shop -- check out the forum on his web site for update.
   I especially like the do-it-yourself web site live design he has - you can try it now for practise or figuring out what you want to order later when he gets back into production. Patiently waiting for him to start up soon - probably Feb or March. Wanting to order couple for the 45-70 and the 50-140.

Happy hunting and shooting --- Bob.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »
why wait both veral and ballistic cast will do just about anything within reason.
blue lives matter

Offline bufflobob

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:23 AM »
     As per Mtn Molds web site, looks like he's about to start setting up shop, but somewhat limited production for a few months.

I have to say to me its worth the wait. The quality is great, for a much lower price than the other custom molds. Other custom molds are running about $200.00 for steel blocks - about double of Mtn Molds, for little difference in quality.  I like the economical aluminum to try a certain shape and diameter, maybe when I settle on a preferred design I'll get a brass or steel version. But with the cheaper cost of alum. you can try several -- and they do last if looked after. I don't believe in banging on sprue plates to open up - use pair of pliers to swing open.  For that matter tapping on handle pivot point to drop bullet should also be avoided.
      Also don't preheat by dipping cold mold's corner in melted lead, to me that's a no-no. Preheat by carefully placing mold and handles on top of lead pot rim and gradually preheat for 15 - 20 minutes. I have yet to warp from heat any of mine and I do like to cast hot end of scale. Something I should really try to get is a thermometer for castng -- to keep consistency in lead temp.

Safe hunting and shooting.... Bob.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 02:46:20 PM »
I've had two of his moulds. Both cut off center............Creeker
Joshua 1:9