Author Topic: Final shots for 2006  (Read 529 times)

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Final shots for 2006
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
I (probably) fired my final shot for 2006 from my H&R Mdl. 088 12 ga. yesterday.  It was the last pheasant hunt of the season for me here in Wyoming.

First, realize that my buddy and I were hunting "the Governor's birds."  There is little opportunity to hunt wild birds in Wyoming but the state runs a bird farm and releases birds.  This was the last release week of the season.  We knew the released birds would likely all be hens as the roosters are used on privately owned "walk-in" areas where hens aren't legal.

We hunted for several hours, seeing only two birds.  Both were pointed by Xena, a German shorthair pointer, and both offered no shot for me.  My buddy, Eric, missed the first bird twice.  Hours later the second bird dropped at one shot.

Less than 30 minutes before the end of legal shooting we got a couple more chances.  I clipped the first hen as it rocketed straight over my head and Eric knocked it down with his shot.  A short while later I got a wide-open shot over a point and cleanly killed the last bird of the day.

We saw four birds for the day and bagged three.  I fired two shots with my H&R (high brass #4s): one wingtip and one fold.  Not bad for an area where birds are scarce.  I knew that shots would be rare and left my heavier pump guns at home.  I was perfectly happy to be carrying a light, dependable and efficient single-shot for over six hours of tramping the brush.  It was the perfect shotgun for the day.

The H&R has been cleaned and returned to its "home duty station" in the bedroom closet with a couple for rounds snugged into the butt cuff.  The book closes on another successful hunting season. 8)
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Final shots for 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:29:47 AM »
Congrats, sounds like a nice day. 

As a kid I used to be able to walk about 100 yds from the house and start pheasant hunting.  But unfortunately with suburban sprawl here, thats no longer possible and I havent seen a pheasant in a number of years.  Turkey and deer on the other hand have become very plentiful here.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:31:25 AM »
I have had days were i never saw a thing and still loved it , just being out with my boys was reward enough .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »
I expect to fire my last shots of 2006 on Sunday December 31, 2006. Our skeet range is open on Wednesday and Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. No reason not to close out this now old year shooting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 12:13:24 PM »
Well, there might be more opportunities to shoot.  If I could get up to the cabin before the New Year I might get a crack at a jackrabbit.  After all, they ARE classified as "predators" in Wyoming Game and Fish regulations. :o
Hunt close, then get closer.