Author Topic: Black Powder Handgun for Large Game  (Read 1839 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Black Powder Handgun for Large Game
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
I have little, to no, knowledge of black powder especially in handguns.  I would appreciate if you would share some of your knowledge regarding this aspect of the shooting sports.

I would like to acquire a large caliber handgun that is very capable both in accuracy and bullet putdown power for large game including Brown Bear.  I have quite a bit of experience with 'white' powder heavy recoiling handguns, i.e., .475 Linebaugh.  I am willing to spend the $$$ to purchase a first-class gun.  Point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Fiveshooter

Re: Black Powder Handgun for Large Game
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
Jay,
      I know a couple of "One of a kind" black powder revolvers that have been made with 1" bores. These have been more novelty than anything else and I think were loaded light. But then again how fast does a 1" diameter lead ball have to go to kill? As far as I know the .50 caliber Old Army conversion by David Clements is about as powerful of a percussion revolver produced today. The conversion is not cheap but it is the finest quality percussion revolver I have seen. I own one myself.  The Clements .50 caliber Old Army is fine for deer and hogs but I would feel undergunned for bear with it. You may want to consider a .54 caliber Scout pistol by Thompson Center. The Scout is no longer in production but can be found used. It is a very strong pistol but is only a single shot so even though it can be loaded very heavy I would still not want to hunt bear with it. Call me a sissy if you like ;D

You can read more about the Clements Old Army at the two links below.

http://imageevent.com/fiveshooter/ccgoa

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm

I think I would use a .475 or my .500 Linebaugh for bear ;D

http://imageevent.com/fiveshooter/clements
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
Fiveshooter,

I cannot be happier with the contents of your post, I've checked the sites that you supplied and will phone David Clements tomorrow to further discuss the work and start the process on the Old Army conversion.  I'll keep you posted on the progress of this project.  I've been searching for several new undertakings and this one may fit the bill, even though it may lack the takedown power for large bear.

Again, thanks for your post.

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:43:14 PM »
Jay,
      I thought of another one if you can find it. It is a large bore single shot made by Gordon Kahnke.
It was made in .50 and .54 calibers in blue and stainless. Barrel lengths could be had in 10" or 12" although since each was made mostly by hand I think you could have gotten about any barrel length you wanted. I had him build the stainless .50 caliber shown below for me. I had Gordon give it a satin brush finish much like the finish found on a Freedom Arms revolver. The standard finish was matt bead blast on the stainless models.
The gun is very simple but very strong and with good sights. It has proven to be accurate as well. I wish these were still being made. I know it is not a revolver and is only a single shot but it is capable of firing 400 grain conicals with very good short range accuracy and enough velocity for most large game at close range.

http://www.kahnkegunworks.com/

It looks like Gordon Kahnke is still making guns ;D

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
seems to me that if a Ruger old army frame and cylinder were lengthened by a quarter to a half inch, the powder charges would be sufficient for white tail and black bear.  I shoot 320 grain pure lead .456 slugs in my ROA.  that extra powder would take it up to nearly the equivalent of some old black powder rifle cartridges.  If I were designing it, I would also lengthen the barrel to 9 or 10 inches to get the extra powder to burn more efficiently before the ball leaves the barrel.

Ruger must be making a longer revolver frame by now that they could base the black powder c&p gun on.

Or perhaps S&W could jump in with a black powder C&P version of the .500 S&W.  Maybe R&D could make a conversion cylinder to convert the S&W .500 to cap and ball. 

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:58:10 PM »
longcaribiner,
                  David Clements offers a service of deepening the chambers on Ruger Old Army cylinders.
The process only reguires that you send the cylinder and it is very afordable. It is reported to add 100 fps or more to a round ball from the 7.5" barrel model. I had this done to my "take-off" cylinder from my conversion gun. I have other Old Army revolvers in both barrel lengths but I have not gotten around to testing the velocity gains with different weights of conicals as of yet. I will post my results when I get around to the experiments.

Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 06:46:13 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer and black bear with my .54 Lyman Plains Pistol.  50 grains of Swiss 3F gets a 225 grain ball going 1100 fps.  Don't know about taking on Ol' Ephram though.

If I had an itch to shoot a Grizz with a BP pistol, I'd get something with a 12" barrel in .50 (if I was to use conical) or .58 for ball.

I've seen some quasi-traditional ML pistols where the builder used a left-handed lock, but turned it to face backwards on the right side of the barrel.  This allowed the builder to put the barrel farther back and balanced the pistol better.  Kinda looked like he was committin' suicide every time he shot though :)
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »
Make sure to check your hunting Regulations first. Not legal in a lot of places
and it would suck to pour a lot of money into a weapon you can't hunt with.
I have done it, I know  >:(
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Fiveshooter

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
Make sure to check your hunting Regulations first. Not legal in a lot of places
and it would suck to pour a lot of money into a weapon you can't hunt with.
I have done it, I know  >:(
Very good point. I can only hunt deer with my Old Army during regular rifle season in my state as it is not considered a true muzzle loader.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 09:35:26 AM »
I remember reading a book at the Oak Park, Illinois library several years ago, entitled, "Before Barbed Wire", in which a British gent spoke very highly of the Colt Single Action Army revolver, which fired a 250gr .45 caliber bullet in a brass case full of 40grs BP. He used this gun/load combo to kill a grizzly bear. Need I say more? JD45

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »
JD45,

You have a good recollection.  And if what you read is nonfictional than I would say that the story that your refer to lends a lot of credibility to the power of this particular handgun and load.  Assuming,  as always that it was not a "lucky shot" and that it could be replicated on a regular basis.

JHT

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 03:21:49 AM »
JHT, your points are well taken. When I read it I took the author to be seroius. Of course shot placement, as always, is critical.........I've heard of bullets from even large caliber high-powered rifles bouncing off the big bruins' skulls because they were fired from an angle that caused it to glance off. jd45

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
I have decided to go forward with the build of The Clements 50 caliber Old Army and give credit for my choice of a gunsmith to Fiveshooter.  I am hopeful to have the project completed and returned to me in time to have adequate training with this new revolver so that I may harvest my first black powder deer.  It now seems that the easy part was the selection of the project and gunsmith.  The more difficult part will be the wait for the delivery of the conversion.

Thanks to all who have have assisted and may assist in the future.

JHT