Author Topic: 17HMR QUESTIONS  (Read 715 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
17HMR QUESTIONS
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »
Does anyone carry a 17HMR snubby for a backup gun or as a conceal/carry weapon?  I saw a Taurus at Gander today and couldn't imagine why they would make a snubby in 17hmr.  Can someone shed some light on this for me?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: 17HMR QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:59:10 AM »
Does anyone carry a 17HMR snubby for a backup gun or as a conceal/carry weapon?  I saw a Taurus at Gander today and couldn't imagine why they would make a snubby in 17hmr.  Can someone shed some light on this for me?

cookiemann

Anyone who depends on a 17HMR for self protection as a carry weapon is flirting with death.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »
OOOK, so how do you really feel!  Seriously,  it was a curious question, more than anything else.  Up for serious consideration is a 32Mag.  I asked about the 17hmr because it just seemed strange to see a stubby in that caliber.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »
One thing about short barrel pistols if you are planning on using it as a carry gun for self protection, is they usually need heavier bullets than the longer barrels. Take for instance, the .38 special. A short barrel 38 special needs at a minimun to use a 158 grain bullet as a smaller grain bullet in it will not expand enough and do what it's desigend to do and that's to stop someone. A longer barrel 38 special can go to a smaller grain bullet and get the same done. I'm not very famaliar with the 32 mag, so I couldn't be of help there. Most police departments require that the minimun caliber that they use is 38 special and up from there. I used to work in LE and have been to many shootings and seen results with what different calibers do. I speak from experience on the short snub pistol and lower grain bullets as they just don't get it, but the heavier bullet will.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic about the 17HMR, only mentioning that it would not be something that you wanted to depend on for protecting your life. I would think one in that caliber would be more or less for plinking with.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:11:32 AM »
Hey, we're cool.  Thanks for the info about shorter barrels.  I didn't know that.  Kinda puts ya between the rock and the hard place.  Small for concealment but you still wanna get the job done so caliber has to be larger. 
Did some research and found out that the 17HMR actually delivers about 5 ft/lbs more energy than a 32mag using standard box ammo.  Strange!!!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 03:11:22 AM »
Hi Cookie,

I expect snubby 17's are designed as kit guns like the smith 34 in 22lr and used while hunting or hiking.  I suspect that for the same weight and size, a smith 36 or 38 airweight would be a better choice.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 03:13:56 AM »
Here's a site that you can gain a lot of info about how a bullet perorms.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/wound/formulas.htm

Based on my own personal experience from firsthand knowledge, I personally carry a .45acp as I have seen what it does, so I put my life on the line by carrying what I know will protect me. Now, there are a lot of other calibers that are just as good and several that I would trust my life with, but I know what my caliber will do as I have seen the results. Like the other poster stated, the 17HMR might be a plinker or hiking gun. I also carry what I call a woods walking pistol, a Ruger single six in 22mag and it does an excellent job for for it's rated for doing, but as a carry pistol to place my life on the line, I would never use it for that.
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:37:53 AM »
Thanks for all the info and insight.  I don't have ANY handgun experience and I can see that I need to do much reading and research before purchasing a handgun.  Especially, for C/C.
Thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:44:48 PM »
Man, a 17HMR as a "personal defense" caliber ??? With the rapid expansion it would make for such a shallow wound, but would be bloody as all get out! Don't really want to think about that.
Varmint calibers in varmint configurations, is what I say.
But I do agree the 22Mag is nice in a longer barrel revolver, the 22Mag has a varied ammo choice from FMJ to V-Max.

-Aaron

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
It would work very well.............the muzzel blast would kill them!  I have a Ruger Single Six 17 HMR and it really, really LOUD. A barrel that short would really be bad...........