Author Topic: High Temp Casting Gloves  (Read 805 times)

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
High Temp Casting Gloves
« on: December 22, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
The steel mold I use for casting 2 1/4" solid zinc ball gets warm enough to smoke the heaviest leather welding gloves in nothing flat.  I need up to 20 seconds to align and reassemble the mold halves.  Had been using a pair of Elliot foundry gloves but they are getting pretty ragged now.  Found a company in Texas selling gloves that seem just what I am looking for.  Haven't used them yet casting zinc, but last night I was casting up a bunch of .445 round ball using a Lyman 4 cavity mold.  The operating temp on that mold is probably in the 450 degree range.  Just as an experiment I grasped it tightly wearing that glove.... was close to 40 seconds before I felt any appreciable heat thorough that glove !!!  The mold I use for the zinc balls probably gets a bit warmer, but these gloves are rated at up to 1320 degrees.

Not exactly inexpensive at $45 a pair, but so far to me they seem well worth the cost.

Worth looking at if you have need for this sort of glove.

http://www.tasco-safety.com/workgloves/high-temperature-gloves.html#kp-214-dwl
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: High Temp Casting Gloves
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »
Thanks for the info Evil Dog. I have paid twice the price for hot gloves that were no better than welding gloves. I have a coke fired furnace and when opened will set fire to most gloves, clothing, skin, etc.

Max
Max

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 12:18:49 PM »
looks good to me... I'm getting a set !

Evil Dog, assuming you are using a mould that dows not have handles, I made up a fixture for holding mold halves in alignment while sliding them together. You don't have to handle the halves as much. Pictures if it should be a few pages back. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to find it.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
Rick.... yes, you are correct.  The mold I use has no handles.  I put it back together by hand and keep it closed with a set of vice grip c-clamp pliers.  The mold is opened with a 20 ounce brass hammer.... not exactly a very sophisticated operation.  Would be interested in seeing the fixture you use for putting your mold back together.... I am presuming a set of parallel rails or the like.
Evil Dog

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »
The search feature seems to not be working again/yet, but I still know where the photos are so I'll repost the images...

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:20:07 PM »
Hey Rick.... PM sent... or atleast I think it was.  Let me know if it doesn't get there.
Evil Dog

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »
Those are a must for Foundry work!!! They work very good! Thats a pretty good price to.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"