Author Topic: Cabelas 1851 Confederate Navy, .44 Caliber  (Read 1093 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
Cabelas 1851 Confederate Navy, .44 Caliber
« on: December 17, 2006, 02:54:53 AM »
Does anyone have any comments on these pistols

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20817-cat20817_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20817&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20817&id=0006186

It seems like the best price out there for a cap and ball revolver. They had good reviews on Cabelas site.
I ordered one for my Dad's birthday. He's 80 years old next week, so I wanted to give him something that would give him a smile to his face. He taught me to shoot and hunt as a young boy. Never showed any fear and would do just about anything his sons and nephews where doing at the time. Up until a few years ago. He would accompanied us to the camp in Maine for our early spring outing. Travel via boat, atv or hiking. He'd would do it without complaint and would always outshoot us. But now, even though his mind want's too his body won't. Most likely he won't shoot his new cap and ball, but just look at it smile and remember when he could!

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cabelas 1851 Confederate Navy, .44 Caliber
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
Gustmouth,
I looked at that revolver that you are talking about and seen one at the Cabela's in Wheeling W.V. If a smile from your Dad is what you will be wanting for CHRISTmas,I'm very sure you will get his smile with that.I can only remember my Dad's smile at CHRISTmas when I gave him guns.He'd never killed a thing during all the many years we hunted together,he never wanted to,  but he enjoyed the times we were together.Go for it buddy and take a picture of this CHRISTmas with your Dad  receiving his gift.I have one of my Dad receiving his new rifle that I bought him some years ago and I am going to go look at it right now since you reminded me of such an event.Some day,memories are all you are going to have so make the very best out of the times you have together.Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours.Let us know how it went,share the wonderful moment with us.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 05:26:42 AM »
Gustmouth,
I looked at that revolver that you are talking about and seen one at the Cabela's in Wheeling W.V. If a smile from your Dad is what you will be wanting for Christmas,I'm very sure you will get his smile with that.I can only remember my Dad's smile at Christmas when I gave him guns.He'd never killed a thing during all the many years we hunted together,he never wanted to,  but he enjoyed the times we were together.Go for it buddy and take a picture of this Christmas with your Dad  receiving his gift.I have one of my Dad receiving his new rifle that I bought him some years ago and I am going to go look at it right now since you reminded me of such an event.Some day,memories are all you are going to have so make the very best out of the times you have together.Merry Christmas to you and yours.Let us know how it went,share the wonderful moment with us.
Muskie Hunter, I received the pistol a couple of days ago, It's pretty nice for the money! Thanks for the help and kind words, Merry Christmas! I'll post his reactions here!

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:33:35 AM »
Well gave the 1851 to my father on Christmas and it sure lit up his face. He instantly asked me what caliber it was. I think it shaved 20 years off of him for awhile. I think he must of felt like I did years ago when he gave me a Colt 1873 in 32-20 for my birthday!

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
Depending on how much Dad shoots the gun, you may want a few upgrades such as nipples but they are great shooters for the price.

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 04:08:03 AM »
Depending on how much Dad shoots the gun, you may want a few upgrades such as nipples but they are great shooters for the price.
Most likely he won't shoot it much. But I have the steal frame 1851 in 36 caliber that I just got from Cabelas. I got it for $150 just before Christmass and now they're $190. What a bear getting the wedge out. good thing it's made well, anyhow I may upgrade thoses nibbles. Which ones do you think would work in the 36 caliber? I'm off to clean my Dad's 44 caliber. At least I know how to take it apart!