Author Topic: OFF BRAND SCOPE COURAGE  (Read 681 times)

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
OFF BRAND SCOPE COURAGE
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:10:59 PM »
I have read a lot of posts with all the brand names and opinions on them, tasco bushnell,simmons,leupold etc.  I have gone the way of cheap and have ordered thru e-bay some Brands that I have not heard of. They are inexpensive with features like 3-9x40 with lighted reticle. Mildot reticle, rubbercoated etc. I shoot these on light recoil guns. Specifically  a 222, 17hmr, 17hm2, and a 22. The brand names are NC STAR and ..... Mastercraft!! When I say inexpensive I am talking 29.99 to 59.99.  So far they have been great. The only scope to have lost it's zero is the bushnell! Thats when I went with these others. Kinda my' walk on the wild side'.  Has anyone else tried off brand scopes and have luck? Also Has anyone else have these scope I described? whats been your experience??
Stupid Hurts

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: OFF BRAND SCOPE COURAGE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:48:46 PM »
I just can't see myself on a hunt of a life time and have a cheap scope. It just don't make since to me. In my opinion you get what you pay for.

$7000 Guide and hunt fee, $1000 Air fair $2000 gun $29.99 scope. What am I missing.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:51:17 PM »
Well most of us can't afford the $7000 guide service or the $1000 in airfare. I don't own a credit card and have to pay for it when I have it.  So most of the hunting luxuries have to wait.  I started hunting because the deer were always destroying my garden.  I guess you could say it was pest control.  I've hunted with cheap scopes and shot more deer than anyone else in my area most years. I was often teased and laughed at about my equipment.  This included several faded out blue jeans, a pair of old boots and a camo t-shirt.   My homemade sent killer included arm&hammer and Ivory soap.  I hunted cheap because I had to.     I hunted with an old bushnell sportview and a Simmons 8-point mounted on two cheap rifles for about 15 years.  There is nothing wrong with cheap scopes if that is all you can afford.  I like the lower end Bushnell stuff the best.  NC Star and BSA are not worth the tin they're made of. 

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »
While I haven't had a malfunction with a cheap scope, I have swore off on them due to the craptastic optics quality. My last illuminated 3x9x50 NcStar was so bad a 1" orange target dot at 100yds on a white background would literally blurr into nothing.

The Bushnell banner is as low as I'll go nowdays

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:07:27 AM »
If I were on an expensive hunt I would definetly not take the chance. These scopes are are on light recoil guns that I use for crow and squirrel hunting type applications. The clarity so far on the ones I have have been really good. I shot the 222 and hmr on targets out to 200 yds when zeroing in and could see great. Hopefully they won't fall apart but if they do I thuink I got my 29.99 out of it!! ;D
I never see discussions on 'other' scopes so I thought I would ask. Thanks for the input
Stupid Hurts

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »
By all means, get what you can afford. I will never knock a guy at the range with a $29.99 scope.
But if one of my buddies had a $29.99 scope on his gun I would. I know my buddies can afford something better.

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TBS

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:55:44 AM »
After years of owning and using boatloads of scopes from busnell sportviews up through leupold vari-x111 and Kahles I have found a happy middle ground. Weaver V - K series and Grand Slams offer the best solution for my needs. I'll never buy another Leupold nor will I buy $29.99 special.