Author Topic: I want power, accuracy and lighter than a Walker.  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Baby Fat Arky

• Trade Count: (0)
I want power, accuracy and lighter than a Walker.
« on: May 02, 2003, 04:31:37 AM »
Which do I buy? I held a Walker yesterday.  Whew, a real chunk.  The Dragoon is lighter, but only a few ounces.  Which C&B has the accuracy, powder capacity, .44 cal, and does not require a gun bearer to pack all day?  This cap and ball stuff is getting in my blood.

bfa

Offline Flint

power
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 05:34:05 AM »
The strongest, best and most accurate is the Ruger Old Army, no contest.  The Remington is potentially more accurate than the open top Colts, but some of them are amazing, but the Remington holds a slight bit more powder, and the Ruger more.  Ruger, without a Wonderwad overpowder wad will hold a bit over 40 gr of fffg.  The Remington about 35gr.  The Colt (Uberti) about 30 gr.  The Ruger is heavier than a Colt Army or Remington, as big as a Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, but is certainly far more handy than a Dragoon or Walker, by a matter of pounds, not ounces.  The Ruger will also shoot all day without binding up from fouling, a Remington not more than 2 or 3 cylinders, and a Colt a little more.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
I want power, accuracy and lighter than a W
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 06:10:06 AM »
If you are looking do dispatch a wounded deer, any of the .44s will work like a charm. That Ruger is the primo cap and ball pistol, but expensive.
If your main concern is putting a couple shots into the ribcage or neck of a deer, the Colt or Remington copies will do a fine job for a lot less money.
I have been told that a .44 with 30 gr of fffg has about the same energy as the .38 special.
During the Civil War, cavalry troops were knocking enemy troops out of the saddle, and out of the fight, with one shot from the little .36 caliber revolver. [footnote 1]Whatever the .36 will do, the .44 will do even better.

[1] Taken from a post by Gatofeo
Aim small don't miss.

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 09:14:10 AM »
I've owned both Remington and Colt copies and generally prefer the Colts for overall balance.  IMHO, the 1860 Army is the best choice for all around work but there are a lot of Remington fans out there so it boils down to what you prefer to handle.  The Walkers and Dragoons were intended to be carried on horseback while the later pistols were better designed for the foot soldier.

Offline Flint

power
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 11:35:39 AM »
Simon's remark reminds me of the assertion that the roundball is/was more effective a manstopper than the conical.  It makes sense in that the limit to velocity in a black powder gun is the amount of powder, and a conical bullet reduces the powder capacity, and is heavier to boot.  So the roundball with all the powder a cylinder will hold, made of pure lead, going about 1000fps is a very effective bullet.  It is said many soldiers used flask and roundball rather than the Army issued paper cartridges (w/conical bullets) for the sake of killing power.  I believe the 36 Navy or a 44 Army have more effective power than the calculated energy numbers would indicate, because of that soft lead ball, which opens up to about the size of a 50 cent piece when it hits.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 09:20:54 AM »
Get yourself a nice ol' mountain pistol
in .50 cal. these boys pack a decent punch!
(Although only one at a time)
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 07:58:22 AM »
Ya, ive got a mountatin pistol and at 50 yds i can hit a paper plate and have a three inch group using 45 grains of powder and a conical (they are the ones that have the little plastic ends on them. I forgot the name of them but they arent sabots cause colo. wont alow them, The name might be blackbelts or somethng that starts with a B)
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo