Author Topic: .410 Pardner  (Read 916 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
.410 Pardner
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »
Enjoying my new .410 Pardner, it’s sweet. On Friday I harvested two rabbits with it. No luck on Saturday, the dogs weren’t running to good. I think it was the weather. It snowed on Thursday night and Friday morning, rabbits were still sitting tight on Friday. Saturday the rabbits were feeding in the day, rabbits running everywhere (To far out to get a good shot at) and the dogs can’t pick up scent line. The air was warmer then the ground. Well my 410 Pardner is a mutt; the rear stock is off of my wife’s 20 ga. Topper Deluxe Classic, hers was replaced with youth stock from a Topper Junior Classic and the front stock went of my 410. It has the walnut stocks on it. I shot a round of skeet with it last Sunday and didn’t do to bad, about the same as with my 20 ga. TDC. I have problems with station 3, 4, and 5. Looking at getting reloader for it, because 410 shells cost some $$$$! For those who are using the 410 Pardner, what shells are you using and for what type of game? I’m have mixed feeling about the 2 ½ inch shells with the ½ oz. of shot, if I do reload looking a spending the extra money for #7 copper or nickel plated shot for rabbit loads. I understand that the plated shot perform better then field shot.

Thanks!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline gould

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .410 Pardner
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:04:37 PM »
The ultamit load I think is a 3" with hevi-shot #5 or #6 it really hits hard for a 410 cost is a little more but if you just use it for hunting its not that bad.

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:06:33 AM »
I've had the most luck with #6 2 1/2 in. shells on both squirrels and rabbits. For some reason the 3" shells seem to shoot a crappy pattern in my pardner, where 2 1/2 shoots great.... no idea why.

About the plated shot... I really doubt that at .410 ranges plated shot is gonna make much difference over field loads. Also, #7 seems a bit small for rabbit, I'd go at least #6 for bunnies.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 07:44:45 AM »
I agree Beers (welcome aboard by the way!!), many here have made the same observation of the 2 1/2" .410 shells shooting better patterns than the 3" out of these H&R/NEF's. On paper to check the pattern the observation has been that the 3" shells shoot "doughnut" shaped pattterns with holes in the center. As is usually the case with most calibers and guns the larger more powerful loads do not shoot as well as the more moderate loadings. I have never been able to understand why so many want to shoot the most powerful round available for thier particular gun when a more moderate loading will get the job done just as well or even better because of more precise shot placement with the reduced flinching or fear of recoil. I do understand there are times when only the most powerful ammunition will do, but sadly I have not had the opportunity to be involved in any of those situations, perhaps some day I will get to Africa or be able to hunt Grizzlies, until then I will most likely be using less than Magnum loadings in my guns and ammo....<><.... ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:32:31 AM »
How do you shoot skeet with a single-shot gun?   I thought skeet had mostly doubles..  Do you get time to reload before the second bird?
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........