Author Topic: Arranged marriages to particular guns and cartridges  (Read 928 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Arranged marriages to particular guns and cartridges
« on: March 19, 2003, 04:26:38 AM »
What kind of arranged marriages have you had to particular guns and cartridges? For example, a policeman may use a 9mm Glock not out of choice, but out of job requirements. In my case it was the 45ACP 1911 for bullseye shooting-- the 45 caliber is required, the 1911 was the only gun accurate enough to be competitive.

How has this marriage turned out? Did it blossom into something you like? Or is it a sour relationship?

In my case, I hated the 1911 at first, but have really grown to favor it for target shooting. I shoot more 45ACP than anything else, except 22LR.
Safety first

Offline Henry Bowman

Platforms
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 10:30:19 AM »
Questor you're showing your age!
BTW, how about
S&W 52 -.38Special
Colt P Model -.45Colt
S&W 41 -.22LR
S&W 29 -.44 Rem. Mag.
BTW, bulleye thse days is dominated by the 9mm with the AMU using highly customized Beretta 92s and many civilians shooting the incredibly accurate S&W 952.

Offline A62Rambler

Arranged marriages to particular guns and c
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 02:51:24 PM »
Okay I'll play this one.
38 spl with non hollow points in a model 36 S&W 3"(required by agency) ended in rather nasty divorce! I left to work elsewhere and was happy to get rid of her. Of course now I wish I had her back.

Glock 19 9mm(issued weapon) ended in an amicable divorce Glocks are great but they just aren't my cup of tea. I hope she made the next guy happy!

Now happily playing the field since no requirements are foisted on me!  :grin:
If I was a horse, they'd have shot me!

Rob

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 03:30:48 AM »
Henry Bowman:

Where did you get the information about bullsye being dominated by 9mms? I shoot bullseye a lot and I have only seen one 9mm on the line, and that one owned by a guy who just likes to own a lot of guns.  From what I could see at the national matches, the 1911 is still the gun of choice for both centerfire courses.  What are the Beretta shooters using for the 45 match?  The three high masters of my acquaintance all use a 22 and a 1911. One is having a new gun built and it's a 1911 also.  Could this dominance be limited to only the AMU? That would make sense because that's their service pistol now.  I don't see 9mms being offered by any of the bullseye gun makers.

Questor
Safety first

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 01:57:36 PM »
For me, it was the M2 Carbine (standard issue to Advisers in the early days in Viet Nam.)  My carbine somehow got wrapped around a tree and I bummed an M1 from the ARVN and carried that from then on.  I also carried a Colt Model 357.

My second tour was a bit different.  As a company commander, I bullied my Battalion Commander into getting me two sniper rifles (accurized M14s, pre-M21) and kept one for myself.  It wasn't my job to use a rifle, but when I needed one, I preferred not to carry an M16.

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 04:01:31 AM »
Good idea for a thread!

Here's my story.  My Step-Father-in-law has a Ruger Redhawk in .41 Mag.    He and my Mother-in-law are doing the sell the house, by a fifth weel and move around thing so he asks me if I had room to "store" it for him.  

Do I ever!

He told me to re-register it and shoot and hunt with it as I liked since he probably wouldn't be using it anymore.  Along with the revolver, he had a big box of reloading dies and compontents for including bullets in different wieghts, HS-6 and H110 powder, and a ton of empty brass.

Talk about good fortune.  For handloading, gun nut like me that could never afford to get into handgunning this is like the best CHRISTmas morning ever!  I've already got 12 rounds each loaded for 5 different powder-bullet combos.  Can't wait to get to the range for some testing and practicing.

I guess I'm an overnight fan of the Redhawk .41 Mag.