Author Topic: 20ga for Turkey  (Read 862 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
20ga for Turkey
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
Many of you may not agree, but I want to use a 20 full choke for turkey.  IF I GET A CHANCE TO GO  My choices are between the standard 26" barrel or a youth 22".  I guess there are also the new synthetic Pardner models in the same length with choke tubes or the 20 TDC.  The latter 2 of course would be the best, as they could be fitted with turkey tubes.  However, as I have many wants and limited $$$ I may opt for a fixed full choke barrel.
QUESTION:  What is the effective range, for turkey, on a 20ga? 
QUESTION:  Will I loose much range between the 26 and 22 inch barrels? 
QUESTION:  What about 16ga for turkey?

Yes, I know that 12ga and 10ga are what many of you prefer, but I really like my 20's.

Thanks, cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20ga for Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:48:40 PM »
Cookieman, both the 16 and the 20 will work fine for Turkey, in days gone by many, many, turkeys were harvested with the old favorite 16 gauge. Just be sure to pattern your guns using different ammo and after you determine the best and most effective load for your gun and it's maximum distance do not exceed it. If you stay within your limits and that of the gun and load whatever you shoot will work fine and whatever you shoot at will be dinner. I belive and would put my money on a .410 full choke at about 15-20 yards, or whatever distance gave you a nice dense 6" to 10" pattern with #6 shot if the pattern were centered on the turkeys head and neck. The key is to pattern your own gun at known ranges with a particular ammo and stay within the limits imposed on you by the results you obtain in the testing....<><.... :)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:03:09 PM »
Cookieman,

No problem with the 20 ga. My son has shot them out to 25 yards with a N.W.T.F Topper Jr. Classic J.A.K.E.S. gun with a fixed MOD choke. Just don't scrimp on the ammo, get some good 3" turkey loads and your FULL choke ought to be good out to at least 30 yards I would think.

Like was said, hit the patterning board to know your maximum distance for sure.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline joshco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »
First turkey i ever shot was 870 youth model 20 with #4 heavy field loads at 35 yards with modified choke.   Just pattern your gun with all of your choke tubes, because they will surprise you.  Also you dont always need 3 or 3 1/2 shells.  Mine patterns best with 2 3/4 handloads and a modified choke (12 gauge)
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
josh has hit on what many oldtimers know, most guns pattern and shoot thier best with less than magnum loads. Shoot your gun and be competent and confident in it's known performance with the ammo you are using, that's what puts meat on the table, not the biggest flash-bang with the most recoil....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »
more than anything i dont like the recoil of 3 or 3 1/2 in shells.  plus i get such a dense pattern with my 2 3/4 i have no need for any bigger shell.  My pattern at 50 yards is more than sufficient to kill a turkey so why would i need any more?  a normal turkey kill is within 25 to 50 anyways so i dont see a need for it.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:16:49 AM »
Season before last one of my hunting buddies switched to a 20 gauge from a 3 1/2" 12 gauge.  His kill ratio went way up.  I think this is for 3 reasons: 1 he would shoot the 20 enough to know how it patterned at different ranges, if anyone tells you that a 3 1/2" turkey load doesn't kick they have either never fired one, are less than truthful, or have deadened the nerves in thier face and shoulder. Reason 2: he is more patient and lets them get to 35 or 40 yards rather than trying to kill them at 55 or 60 yards Reason 3: he was flinching when he pulled the trigger on the 12, I think most of the shots he missed was because he was running from the gun.  He shoots the 3" winchester turkey loads #6 shot and it performs great, of course your gun may like a different load but the 20 is plenty as the old saying goes.  I am probably going to order one of the 22" choke tube barrels for my handi and switch to the 20 also.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:57:50 AM »
Leo,

I am thinking of the same thing for my turkey hunting- the 22" choke tube barrel.
What are you going to do about a scope? those barrels don't come d&t and one of them, I forget which has a VR barrel which poses another problem as far as scopes go. I think its the TDC barrel?

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »
I will not be putting a scope on mine, if it doesn't shoot point of aim/point of impact, I will either apply Kentucky windage, or more likely silver solder a set of rifle sights on the barrel.  I really like the VR barrel but they are longer, I currently have a 28" 12 gauge with screw in chokes which I like for everything but turkey hunting, I am quickly learning that shorter is better in a turkey gun, those critters have great eyes and you can hide better with a shorter gun.  The reason I am looking at the 20 gauge is as a light handy walk to the next county chasing the birds gun, the scope would take away from that.  I have know people to sweat a scope base on their guns and I am not sure about the thickness of the barrel on the 20 if there is enough metal there to drill and tap or not.  I am about to back off of ordering the barrel and just buy the whole gun.  By the time you pay for shipping  and fitting and down time with your reciever and take a chance of not having it by season there is not that much difference in the price.  Plus that way if I need to loan someone a gun to hunt with I will also have a short handy single shot.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
There is plenty of metal on the new (or old) 20 guage barrels to D&T for a scope rail or a reciever sight. On the newer 12's the barrels are for the most part just barely thick enough if you get the right barrel and the right gunsmith at the right time (!!!). The older 12 guage barrels were thinner and the area over the chamber was not thick enough to safely D&T...Good luck, sounds like you have a plan....<><.... :)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »
LEO, I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you.  Buy the whole gun and be done with it.  Plus, it is all black, just like the 12ga Turkey 12ga.  Now all I have to do is "Git R Dun"  ;D

I have thought of one other appealing option,  16ga Pardner...just for this year.  The save up to have a Poly Choke installed.  They will cut to any finished length ya want(Legal) of course.  Only question, what size blank do they make the 16ga from.  If its the same as the 12ga, then there would be plenty of thickness to D&T the barrel for a peep sight. 

If anyone knows the answer to that question, please feel free to pass it along.
Thanks to all who have posted their opinions and ideas.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »
The OD of the chamber area is all the same on the .410, 28, 20, 16, and 12 gauge. Therefore I believe your assumpion is correct about being able to D&T a 16 guage....<><.... :)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
Somehow, I just knew Andy would have the answer to that. ;D  Thanks, Andy.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 02:18:10 AM »
I shot a large Jake a couple of falls ago with my 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch old Stevens with the choke set on full.
I was walking out of the woods just before dusk and he was walking towards me. At about 15 yards shot him and broke his right wing and shot again and killed him. The 20 gauge will work if you hit the bird right.
I've been using a 12 gauge lately, but may use the 20 gauge this spring since it's light and easy to carry in the type of woods that I hunt.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
I have a 20ga topper I bought in the early 70's I am thinking about using it this year for turkeys.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
I think I will pattern my Tracker I  and my 20ga, 22" Mod. choke with heavy shot to see how they come out...and, as much as I like my 20's, I do have a 12ga, 24", Mod barrel and a 22" Mod choke barrel.  I will pattern them also, with heavy shot.  Just in case I end up with no other options.  I will have to wait and see how they all pattern.  I may already have a good Turkey barrel and just not know it.  Thanks for all the help, everyone.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"