Author Topic: Cimarron prices  (Read 855 times)

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cimarron prices
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:19:03 AM »
I have been doing my homework on prices before I buy.I have been thinking about a Cimmaron 1851 Navy,just the regular one,blue,round trigger,case harden,36 cal.
I have noticed prices for the same revolver from $278.00 down to $228.00 for the same revolver.Are there stores out there that are sticking Cimmaron stickers on regular Uberti's and calling them Cimmarons? And question number two: Why is the Cimmaron a higher price then a regular Uberti?,just courious.Any links to web sites selling Cimmarons?I 'm not familar with all the sites yet..Thankyou.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: Cimarron prices
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:41:21 AM »
I don't know why dealers have different prices for the same gun. it may be something as simple as the difference in the payments on their Condos in Tahiti ? As for the higher price on Cimmaron, as compared to standard Uberti, I believe Cimmaron orders their guns with a higher degree of finish than found on Ubertis. I have a Cimmaron 1851, and a Taylors 1858. They both cost a little more than a standard Uberti, and when comparng them to the 4 Ubertis I have, the blued metal is polished a little better, the cased metal is more vivid, and the wood in the grips is a little fancier. Other than that, I feel no diference in action smoothness.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »
Thankyou for the reply there Cowpoke.I like the part about the price of condos.That was good humor.I'm still trying to do the research on places to buy online but am running out of options very quickly,not to mention that I am getting anxious.Take care and have a great day.
NRA Member

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:40:33 PM »
Muskie Hunter, I have bought most of my cap and ball revolvers at the on line auction sites. If you keep an eye on the listings, and have patience, there are some bargains to be had. My latest purchase was on Gunbroker, back in October. For $211 and $15 shipping, I got a NIB Uberti Square Back Navy, that came with a new Ted Cash snail capper, 100 Speer balls, 100 felt wads, and a tube of CVA Grease Patch. Dixie Gun Works wants $265 for the pistol, so it was already a nice price, but add the $45+ worth of extras, and I was feeling real good. Take a look, the auction number is 57119520
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:47:40 PM »
Thanks again Cowpox,I'll check out the auction sites also.
NRA Member

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 04:29:41 AM »
Several years back I spoke to a one of Turner Kirkland's sons about the Italian made repros, and back then there was some real junk out there.  He said then most of the guns came off the same production line, just different grades of quality and finish.  Do you want the 200 lira special or the 3,400 lira target quality, and everything in between.  Guns that had parts interchangeable with originals or metric screws.  cheap blue, good blue, case hardened, etc.    polished brass, sanded brass, rough brass or the same selections of steel,  When I first looked at Italian revolver kits (1967), some had to be timed by a gun smith because the chambers wouldn't even line up with the barrel. 

Now whether a Cimmaron is actually better than a Uberti?  you'd have to compare the two. 

I have a rifle that was made in Italy under contract with an American named Garret.   He had a run of Sharps rifles made to his specs.  Then he checked over the ones the Italians shipped to him and he only passed a portion of those to be sold as Garrett Arms Sharps Rifles.  Mine purchased directly from Mr. Garrett, came in a red box marked "Palmetto"      I recently heard that he was very particular about the quality of rifling the Italians were to put in his rifles and special quality tooling was made.    that Pedersoli some how ended up with the tooling.  Which may account for the good showing of the Pedersoli Sharps rifles in BPCR competition.     I also heard that in the early 1970's when Colt started "remaking" their cap and ball revolvers, that they or at least some of the parts were made in Italy, to special Colt quality standards, so that the parts would interchage with the originals. 

Hope this helps answer your question.