Author Topic: Doe season this weekend, do you have one too?  (Read 661 times)

Offline gt2003

• Trade Count: (0)
Doe season this weekend, do you have one too?
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »
I live in eastern Oklahoma and we have a special antlerless season that runs through tomorrow.  Antlerless deer taken do not count against the seasonal limit.  I'm hunting it tomorrow.  What I'm wondering is, if you have (or had) this season would you hunt it?  There are literally tons of doe in my area that need to be culled.  But, the majority of hunters around here only kill bucks.  Personally, I'd like to see it be required that a doe be taken 1st, no matter what method, before a buck could be taken.  Give me thoughts on whether you would hunt it or not and also if you think a doe should be harvested 1st.  Thanks, greg

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Doe season this weekend, do you have one too?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:00:11 PM »
The lease that I'm a member of is a Texas MLD level 3 ranch. We are given an annual doe quota and issued permits based on deer surveys. The permits are divided evenly among the members. Some members don't want to take does so during the extended season (part of being on the MLD program) the remaining permits are opened up to the members at large. The quota we are given isn't that we may take that many does, we are expected to take that number.

I understand the need to take does and since I hunt primarily for meat rather than horns the does are actually tastier. Some states already require taking a doe before a buck and I don't have a problem with that. If all the hunters take bucks then the population will continue to grow, the bucks will be more stressed, and there will be more buck mortality after the rut.

NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »
i am in north central Okla and i think the law needs to change to where u have to shoot a doe before u harvest a buck i have said this for the last 3 years there are so many does up this way its not funny i do hunt the bonus doe season every year i might not fill my tag but i sure try i seem like up here once bird season starts u dont see the does that a person used to i think the bird hunter scare them in to the woods deeper.
1 shot 1 kill

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »
We have an antlerless only season in Illinois, Jan. 12-14 Thats the end of deer season this year.
Backstrap, they have that law in Wisconsin, they call it earn-a-buck, but it is only in certain parts of the state.
Here you can only have two bucks per season regardless of what season it is (archery, muzzleloader or firearm) and how many tags you have.

I really don't like what they did to the laws in recent years. There used to be a seperate shotgun season in Nov. and Dec., a seperate muzzleloader season in Dec. and a handgun season in Jan. there weren't too many people out for muzzleloader and handgun, now they're all called firearm season and you can use whichever firearm you choose so there's a lot more people in the woods.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »
I live in Illinois too.  This is the first year most of the northern counties will have an antlerless season.  Illinois is starting to realise the need to thin the herd.  I have two left over tags from firearms/muzzle loader season and would like to fill them. Illinois has an earn a buck program for some state run lands and I understand it has worked pretty well for keeping the herd balanced. 

Grimjim
The muzzleloader season is still muzzle loader only (though pretty much anything you push a bullet down the barrel on qualifies)but it is thrown in right after shotgun season and is almost a joke because any deer that are left are so shell shocked.

Education is probably a better solution than an earn-a-buck program IMO.  Hunters don't like the gov forcing new rules on them.  Getting people to shoot more does on their own and hold off on younger bucks isn't too hard to do.  Next time you nail a big buck and someone asks how you did it just tell them about all the little bucks you passed up waiting for Mr.Big.

Offline single action

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »
you betcha !!!!

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:43:34 AM »
I live in NE Kansas.  up untill last year the deer were thick, to the point that a local DA said he would not prosicuite deer poachers.  The insurance co's (because of car/deer accidents) pressured wildlife to have liberal doe seasons.  For residents as many doe tags as you want for $10.50 each. 
Well the result is that the deer herds are noticibly thinned.  Amazing what a couple of years of overhunting can do.  I know this is true because I know my area.  I go out pre season with spotlight (no gun in car is legal)  and see a 75% herd reduction.  Also talk with landowners and other hunters.  The local meat locker guy says same thing.  I always shot a couple of does and held out for a big buck.  You do not see near as many deer now.  There has to be a balance.  Don't forget where bucks come from. 

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:12:09 PM »
sdsgen- the muzzleloader season is actually two different weekends, one is muzzleloader only and the other is the second firearm season. Also the muzzleloader only weekend is the only weekend you can be in the woods with a bow during a firearm season, but you must wear orange. And I agree with the shellshocked comment, pretty much anything after shotgun is spooked. I have had some luck in January maybe they calm down a little, but that was on private land also.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline STexhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »
Here in S. Tex our regular season runs thru Jan 21, then a special spikes and does thru Feb 4.  5 deer limit no more than 3 bucks. We need to shoot some does on the place I hunt on but, the land owner is from the old school and doesn't want any does shot.  Too bad as the does are the better eating.

Offline DURAMAXHAL

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:17:22 AM »
Ours in Alabama runs from Oct 15 (bow season) through Jan 31 you can kill one EVERY day!!! As well as one buck a day