Author Topic: Caliber conversion question......  (Read 910 times)

Offline rldowns3

• Trade Count: (0)
Caliber conversion question......
« on: May 03, 2003, 01:04:22 PM »
I have a spare ASM 1851 Colt Navy reproduction .44 cal that I have sitting around and was wondering if a barrel and cylinder from the same manufacturer in .36 cal would fit and work on the same frame.  If so how much work would this entail if any at all?  I would probably expect timing to be an issue but anything else besides that?  Or should I just bite the bullet and take the easy way out and buy one in .36 cal?

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 04:35:05 AM »
I'm not real familiar with the .44 "1851's", but from looking at one in a shop display case, they look more massive overall than the true 1851's. This would probably mean that the cylinder diameter is bigger in the .44. Think about trying to get a .36 cylindr to fit a space too big for it, then to add a .36 barrel in which the distances from the axle pin to the frame lug or from the pin to the bore are all wrong. Give it up; buy a .36!
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline rldowns3

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 11:02:19 AM »
OK, that's probably what I'll end up doing I was assuming that the .36 and .44 frames/cylinders were going to be identical in that they just bored the cylinders and barrels to the different calibers.  I haven't had the opportunity yet to handle the .36 yet guess that'll be my next purchase.

Offline Flint

conversion
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 07:18:45 PM »
The 44 "Navy" is a 44
army made with a Navy like octagonal barrel.  The frame is the same as the 1860 Army in that it has a rebated front portion of the cylinder cut to accept the stepped Army cylinder with its larger forward end to accept 44 caliber.

If you put a Navy 36 cylinder and barrel on the gun, there will be a space under the forward half of the 36  (or conversion such as Kirst or R&D) cylinder, and if that larger gap doesn't bother you appearance wise, it all works.  Navy cylinders and barrels will fit an Army (1860) frame (given minor fitting), because even two Navies or two Armys have to be "adjusted" in the fit to the wedge, the two barrel pins and the cylinder pin fit.  I put the Kirst Konverter and Navy barrel from my 36 on a 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Army 44, and  given it was a bit tight in a spot, could easily fit, function and fire.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Gerald McDonald

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 02:17:40 PM »
On my Pietta 44 Navy the powder capacity is less than a army.
Gerald

Offline rldowns3

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 08:46:12 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the reply, fellas, I appreciate the info.