Author Topic: My first cast bullets  (Read 902 times)

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
My first cast bullets
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:33:59 AM »
Here is a pic of my first ever cast bullets.  I used a Lee pot and Lee single cavity mold.  Some of them aren't real pretty to look at but I am sure they will get better.  I never had any problems and I am amazed, thought I would do poorly since this is my first time.

I tried to take note on how things were going as far as my mold temp and pot temp were concerned.  If anyone has any suggestions as far as improving my bullets they would be welcomed.   :)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My first cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »
The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, or in this case, the shooting.  Put'm in some cases and get to the range and see where the land. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline mrbill2

• Mr. Bills Web Site
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
Looks like your off to a good start.  Keep her going ! Your going to love this cast bullet stuff.
Supporter and Life Member of the NRA

Offline ron haralson

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
The first time is usually the hardest with a new mold. The little bit of oil in the cavity causes imperfections on your bullets. It'll get better the next time or so as the mold breaks in.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
The Lone Ranger would be impressed with those shiny silver colored bullets!

Casting is actually very easy and I find it relaxing. To read some posts, you would think it is terribly difficult.
Its like reloading in general - its not difficult no matter what you read in forums.

I've stated many times - "Its not rocket science unless you want it to be"

Good job on those bullets!

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:50 PM »
I must admit, the more I do the more I get kind of confused.  I got a total of 5 Lee molds for CHRISTmas and I used the second one today and all went well.

I must be one of the luckiest persons on this planet(it isn't because I am a genius) because since I started reloading and now casting my own bullets I have done quite well if I do say so myself.

I never even smoked these molds and they are working very well.  I don't know if the other 3 will do so well but I will find out.

All of the stories that I have read on the Internet have stopped me from doing a lot of things and now I realize I shouldn't have put so much faith in them.   :(

Best advice I could give anyone is if there is something you want to do don't let the tales on the Internet stop you, find out for yourself.   :)

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
I just recently started casting myself, and like you, I figured it'd take forever to turn out some quality bullets. My first ones were pretty good, but my last run turned out really good in my amateur opinion ;D. Like you, I had some worries about the process, but figured out pretty quickly that like   jgalar  said, it can be kept simple and turn out pretty good, or you can get pretty complicated with it, and it'll turn out a "little" better ;D.

Good luck on what I think is a great hobby!

Offline boommer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 04:08:50 PM »

ONE THING ABOUT CASTING IF IT DON'T COME OUT THE WAY YOU WANT IT!

TRY TRY AGAIN           YOU WONT WEAR OUT THE LEAD !!!

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 03:06:47 AM »
One suggestion, get some mold lube.  I use LBT's, (he's a sponsor on GB), it will make all molds, and especially the LEE's last a LOT longer.  It is cheap and easy to use.  Since I started using it on the few LEE molds I have I have noticed the wear on them to drop to almost zero.  The LEEs are pretty easy to close crooked which messes them up pretty quick.  The lube, and being extra careful in closing them will keep them working a lot longer.  If you get a good LEE, it's worth keeping it casting well.  I have a couple that will outshoot expensive custom jobs.  I think the more you get into casting the more fun it is!  Have fun.

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:26:12 PM »
My casting is going very well.  I have used 4 out of the 5 Lee molds that I got for CHRISTmas and they are working great.  This is a lot easier than I had ever imagined.  At the rate I shoot I now realize that the amount of lead I have on hand will last me a very long time.  But I will continue to collect it.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 02:00:33 AM »
Save those empty coffee cans for cast bullet storage. The 1 pound cans are the best size.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 02:10:54 AM »
jack 19512
Looks like you are starting out on the right foot. Your bullets look alot better than my first bullets did some 30yrs. ago. Take alot of notes on each mold, bullet type, & temp. Because you won't be moulding that often and if your memory is like mine you'll forget the little details. Notes will make start-ups alot faster after a long shut down.  Have fun shooting your own cast bullets.

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
If you're anything like me, you'll be hooked. I'm forever scavanging sources of alloy. (I have about a ton stashed in my garage) then you'll  start to check hardness of different alloys, and experiment with different lubes, then comes the more expensive equipment. I have aquired a large collection of molds from estate sales, etc. over the last few years. Always in search of the perfect bullet. It can be frustrating at times, but I really enjoy it. The first time I won an action shoot with my .45 acp and my own cast RN bullets was great, but the best was the first deer I took with my own gas checked 173 gr. RNFP 30-30.
I always tell people that are starting out casting bullets to buy the cheapest, or used equipment. I have 3 or 4 friends  who started casting bullets. I now own most of their equipment. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. If you're reading posts in this forum....you probably love it!  ;)

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 11:55:07 AM »
I haven't got to shoot any of my cast bullets yet but last night I did load some for my Mosin Nagant in 7.62X54 caliber.  When it stops raining I will try them out and go from there.  I really don't expect them to be real accurate the first time out but as I work on my loads hopefully they will improve.  I will post a pic regardless how they do.