Author Topic: my son got his first deer!  (Read 1400 times)

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
my son got his first deer!
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:18:22 AM »
Sat afternoon my son got his first deer! he's 9 and I have him setup with a NEF superlight 223 with the stock shortened, with a Sightron s2 2.5-7 "shotgun" scope (this is a GREAT scope for him with the double diamond reticle, really helps center the shot)

nailed his first deer (spike) about 90 yards out, text book perfect shot behind the shoulder, deer jumped straight up and went off through the brush.. waited about 45 mins (hard for him to deal with!)  my son found the blood trail and there it was about 50 yards out dead to rights.  64g Federal tactical sp went through both rib cages with a good 1" plus hole and through the opposite shoulder
too bad the deer didn't read where a 223 wasn't "enough gun"

I asked him what he thought the instant he pulled the trigger, his response "suasage!"
the other funny thing was when I showed him the entrance wound he said "but I aimed here" and pointed to a spot a 1/2" in front of the hole.  ah.. thought I was going to weep

We had a GREAT time
It's such a great thing to be out there with your son, passing on the tradition.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Re: my son got his first deer!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:35:29 AM »
yep...i know the feeling mine is 7 killed his first one this year with a m.z....im impressed by the range of his shot........i almost had teers too......it ok .......give him a high five for me too............jb

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »
congrats! my son got his first buck which was his second deer in three years also. i think i got got a bigger kick out of it than i did shooting the biggest buck of my life a few days later.keep them kids huntin!

Offline wecole

Re: Mine Too!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:29:47 AM »
My son is a bit older than yours, but this is only his second season hunting.  He took this doe on private land in Georgia.  The range was just over 100 yards.  He used a youth model Remington 700 chambered in 30.06 with the Remington "Managed" (i.e., reduced) Recoil ammunition.   Scope is a Burris 3x9.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
thanks
let's keep these kids outdoors and off the gameboy!

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 03:31:51 PM »

ccoker

Amen ccoker keep them in the feild and not on the play station or tv. They will be better for it......Joe.....
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain