Author Topic: Great surprise  (Read 562 times)

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Great surprise
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:03:27 PM »
So I was sitting around, doing nothing today, and the phone rang. One of my cannon shooting friends called me from the Ontario Airport in CA. He and the family are here from Argentina. I am about 8 minutes from the airport. What a cool deal and a big New Year surprise.

Bill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Great surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
We'd love to know about cannon shooting in Argentina!

I'll bet it's regulated.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Tim;

Cannons are regulated to some extent but not undoable. My friend, Nayar, is also my foreman and visits the US on a regular basis. We shot quite a few downrange last Summer. Last Winter (Summer in Agentina) we put quite few downrange. We speak "Spanglish" for lack of a better term. I think we don't hear from a lot of other cannon shooters just because we don't all speak the same language.

Bill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 04:17:05 PM »
Language may one of the barriers, but access to the interent may be another.

I was able to get on the internet fairly fast down here  in South Africa with an ISP called I-Burst it is a wireless dial-up service.  Reception is spotty and service is slow, especially with a very advanced  full featured websites like GBO. It took 3 tries to get the reply window open. There is a lot of information to be transmitted over 10,000 miles from the server by who knows what means.

The wirless reciever cost me almost $400.  I pay $100 a month for 3 gigs.  That is a bunch of money down here.

To get ADSL is about the same cost but it can take 3 or 4 months to get the phone company to hook you up.  I have ordered  ADSL as this I-Burst has been getting worse since they cut the tree down in the front yard. Don't ask me why, the experts say it should not have made a difference.   

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »
DD;

I,m in at 60 bucks a month for wireless at 1.1 gigs. No other options where I live.

In my LA office I have cable for TV and internet at about 60 bucks and 3.5 gigs.

In my WY office I got dial up.

When I'm in Argentina I have dial up, provided that the electricity is turned on.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 12:34:30 AM »
Things are really bad here!  My dialup is going up from 8 to $10 a month! OUCH!!!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)