Author Topic: Empty GOEX Can?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Empty GOEX Can?
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:58:54 AM »
Sorry pals, but I need to ask you to do me a favor!

Could anyone please send me an EMPTY GOEX BP can, so that I am able to put it into future pictures as size reference?
GOEX is not common over here and I would dislike to buy one if not necessary (got enough Swiss Powder still to use).

It should fit inside a "Global Priority Flat Rate Envelope" from USPS.
I will pay you back the postage with PayPal.

Just make sure that it is completely empty, we won't want to get into trouble with customs!

Many thanks!
(Please PM me, for the address)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Empty GOEX Can?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:32:46 AM »
GOEX cans are the same size a 1 quart cans that solvents and stuff like that come in, at least around here where I live.

You could print out a fake GOEX lael and tape it to a can of sometthing else and make a counterfit GOEX can for photographic purposes.

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 05:29:38 AM »
Rickk

The idea is not bad, but in good ol Germany we use metric units!
There simply is no pint, gallon, pound, inch, Fahrenheit or whatever: Each comes in liters, fractions of a meter or in Centigrade.

Such cans as you describe them are just nonexistent over here!

Here some informations why I came up with this idea that might appear ridiculous to some of you:
Local law limits the storage amount of black powder to 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs)!  :( And BP is sold in 0.5 or 1.0 kilogram bottles (depending on manufacturer).
So for instance, if you want to experiment a little with different granulation sizes (while you use different guns for example), essentially you have a problem.
For your interest: storage of NC-powder is limited to a max of 3 kilograms (6.6 lbs)!  >:(

Additionally: To legally buy propellants like these you need to have a license that is to be renewed every 5 years (which costs substantial money). After that you may buy a limited amount of each kind of powder within that 5 years period. The amount you are granted depends on what you have used up the 5 years before! If you have used less than you were allowed for instance, it can be decreased for the next period.

The way you transport, store, and use propellants, everything is legislated...

Any questions?  :'(

What all of this means: I am not too miserly to buy one can by myself, it's just that I have enough BP still that I would need to burn off first.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 08:00:58 AM »
Cal.45,

Why not just use your Swiss BP can for size reference. It is almost the same size as the Goex can.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 08:27:32 AM »
Looks close enough to me

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

Here some more info on the metric vs. colonial (sorry) or imperial weights (sorry again) - well the units you still use:

The BP I know as Swiss Powder is being produced by the "Poudrerie d'Aubonne S.A., 48 CH. De la Vaux, CH-1170 Aubonne". Which is obviously located within the French speaking part of Switzerland. It's being sold here in 0.5 or 1 kilogram plastic bottles.
(It would be of interest for me who supplies you with this stuff; respectively: when we talk about Swiss Powder, do we refer to the same thing.
From what I know this is the most clean burning black.)

For an impression of the size of different bottles I've placed a Vihtavuori (former Kemira) NC-powder bottle as well in the picture.
I hope at least this one is being sold in he states in the same form as here (and some of you know it).

Here a table of the dimensions of the different bottle sizes (and their manufacturers), shown on the picture from left to right:

Dynamit Nobel Jagdschwarzpulver Nr. 1:
(Dynamite Nobel Black Powder for Hunting Purposes No.1)
width: 76mm (3"), depth: 58mm (2.3"), height: 147mm (5.8")

Vihtavuori N135:
width: 94mm (3.7"), depth: 74mm (2.9"), height: (8.9")

Swiss #2 (3 Fg):
width: 75mm (close to 3"), depth: 74mm (2.9"), height: 267mm (a little more than 10.1")

Swiss #5 (Fg) [obsolete packing nowadays]:
diameter: 80mm (3.15"), height: 252mm (close to 10")

For the books: most of the cans are empty, due to the restrictions we have to live with over here, OK?

Anyways:
I did some research on the Internet and found a supplier of GOEX nearby. He sells 1-lbs bottles for an average price of 15 Euros (slightly short of $20) each. Keeping in mind that the postage for a GP-letter alone is close to $10, it seems not reasonable anymore to get an empty can send from the states.
I wouldn't have guessed GOEX to be that cheap over here. For example 500 grams of Swiss sell for 26 Euros (that is about $31.50 per lbs).

I guess I will just buy me one and burn it off at New Years Eve.
It'll produce a nice flame and a good pile of smoke.  ;D

By the way: The very first sentence of this post was not to be understood as offensive, but the main reason for most of the problems around the world is the lack of understanding. If we all would speak a common language, we could actually communicate with each other.
With using different systems for expressing properties it is the same: we are just not used to them.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 09:11:41 PM »
If we all would speak a common language, we could actually communicate with each other.

While this may come to pass some day in the future with the global reach of the internet, if you just look at English speaking countries, you will see that it will not be as easy as it sounds.  There are still significant differences between UK English and US English, and throw in the Commonwealth and former Empire nations where some English dialect is spoken and the problem is compounded.  Of course we can communicate a lot better with each other than we can with a speaker of Mongolian but not with the degree of ease or subtlety as with those of the same dialect.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 02:23:54 AM »
I live in Western Massachusetts and I have no clue what the city folks in Boston are talkin about.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 02:02:21 AM »
"The Powder Can Rule" isn't realy a rule but kind of a tradition of the board.  It was originated by Blaster Bob and as way showing scale of our cannons with a common object that we all are are familiar with.   The GOEX can being the most common among those of us on the board at the time.

Other powder cans such baking and baby, have shown up as well as coke cans. I know CW and I have use our lovely wives for scale a couple of times. Tim says Darlene can be powder keg if not handled properly.  I would never think that of Darlene.  My wife,well that is another story. In ancient times I have lit that fuse.never again.

If you don't have a powder can just use an object that we would all be familier with for scale. I believe we had a Guniess bottle last week.

As to shipping an empty powder can expecially from one country to another.  Probably not a real good idea... Even empty I would imagine any number of sensors would be activated and a typical government over reaction would occur...but is it an over reaction when our safety and security is involved....a rhetorical question not a discussion point.

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 11:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Rickk
I live in Western Massachusetts and I have no clue what the city folks in Boston are talkin about.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Here a small update of my endeavor getting a GOEX can (for size reference):

I phoned the guys who pretend to have 60% of their listed (on the Internet) powders available.
What a surprise: they had no GOEX in stock at all. (Did I mention that it is not common over here?). But with a fixed order of mine they promised to get it within 4 to 6 weeks>:(
Well, I ended up telling them that I would try to get it somewhere else.  ;)

Quote from: Double D
As to shipping an empty powder can expecially from one country to another.  Probably not a real good idea... Even empty I would imagine any number of sensors would be activated and a typical government over reaction would occur...

A diper doesn’t stink as long as there is no poo inside.
Therefore an empty powder can still is just an empty can!
As the diper, it contains nothing to be serious about.  ;D

Anyways: Postage from the states is severe (even with a GPFR envelope) in comparison what a filled can would cost me, I would rather search for a while for a supplier over here.
Thanks anyways (so far?)!

Offline GGaskill

Empty GOEX Can Images
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »
Let's try this:  I will scan the sides of a Goex can and email the scans to you, thus bypassing the inconvenient customs and other government agencies.  You can print them full size and stick them to an appropriate core for a useful approximation of a Goex can.

PM me with your email address.  OK, I have scanned it and each side is posted on my verizon site.

Front

Rear

Spout Side

Warning Side
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:41:46 PM »
"An appropriate core" could be a block of wood or a stack of cardboard.

Goex Can dimensions are:

5-7/8 "  [ 148 mm ] Heigh
1-3/4"   [  44 mm ] Thick
3-3/4"   [  96 mm ] Wide

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 04:49:40 AM »
Use of it, of course, will raise the question: "Is it real, or is it Goex?"

How about a scan of the top?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 05:15:20 AM »
Here's one other option.  ;)

Last year when I went to the Shot Show I picked up a decal from the Goex booth (which can be seen below). It is almost exactly the same size as a Goex can. If, I was smart I would have grabbed a few more.  :-[

Anyway, the Shot Show is just around the corner. It will be in Orlando this year so, I will be unable to make it.  But, maybe someone on this forum is going and could pick up a couple spare decals for the folks in need.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 05:37:07 AM »
Maybe e-mail GOEX, explain the delema, and see if they will mail you a decal?

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 08:00:22 AM »
Intoodeep, could you post a picture of just the decal, please? I want to see if I can scale it to size and copy it. My scanner is too covered over to access without an hours work.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 08:37:32 AM »
jeeper1,

Here is the photo as requested. I do not have a scanner as I have gone through 2 of them. They always seem to take a dump on me after 6 months. So, a photo is the best I can do. If you PM me your email address I can send you a larger file that you can work with a bit easier.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
Re: Empty GOEX Can Images
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 11:40:22 AM »
Quote from: GGaskill
Let's try this:  I will scan the sides of a Goex can and email the scans to you, thus bypassing the inconvenient customs and other government agencies.  You can print them full size and stick them to an appropriate core for a useful approximation of a Goex can.

PM me with your email address.  OK, I have scanned it and each side is posted on my verizon site.

Hi to y'all!

Building a dummy with GGaskills scans should be easy and close enough for the meantime (until I get a real can over here).
Thanks a lot for those!
And thanks as well to everyone else for your concerns! I really mean it!

Off topic: I am about to go hunting the next days (presumably until Thursday), so the projects I am working on will be delayed through that. Gotta get me some boar this time: the months before they just did not come out of the woods.

By the way: that powder bag hanging down from the GOEX- "O" resembles much of a spicy hot pepper, doesn't it? Must be intentional.  ;D

Have a nice new years eve!
See you in 2007!

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »
ITD, so far the jpg seems fine, even at 500% it is still clear.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »
That powder bag is actually a powderhorn made from a horn.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »
I can't get to my printer or scanner or fax machine for that matter, as I had a waterpipe burst in the office wall and everything that was on the floor that didn't get ruined is stacked on everything else. Dec has been a really crappy month!

Offline Papaman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 10:02:38 AM »
Hey , did you get a Goex can, if not let me know ,I have an empty one.   Col.Ichabod