Author Topic: Stainless Handi  (Read 568 times)

Offline lost.in.indiana

• Trade Count: (1)
Stainless Handi
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
Hi-

I am going to place an order this week for a new Handi - most likely in .30-06 to start, with plans to add immediately a 12 ga slug and .50 cal barrel (definitely stainless), and possibly a .223 barrel. 

Since I haven't posted here yet, I can't search...  =(  Hence, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere here,....

But what are the main advantages over getting the stainless guns versus the blued guns?  I am one to own guns for the long run...  Does it make sense to spend the extra money to get the stainless barrels?  I've read that the receiver is nickel - does it offer more corrosion resistance/durability over the blued receiver inline with the cost?  Should I get a stainless -06 to start out with to get the nickel receiver?

I am very good with my guns, and clean them after every range trip (same day), and during hunting season if they are rained on or exposed to mud, snow, etc, and definitely at the end of each season.  I've read almost all of the FAQ's here, and have some really good ideas of what I am going to do when I get my new gun and barrels.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Stainless Handi
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
Welcome to GBO, John!!

Gotta let ya know that you can't get the 12ga slug barrel fitted to a rifle frame, it uses the 10ga frame which is bigger, so that means you either need to get the complete slug gun or a 10ga and a barrel later.

EDIT: I forgot about the tracker II barrel, :-[ it can be fitted to the rifle frame.

Search is disabled at this time, hopefully it will be working in the near future.

Unless you're in a marine environment, I don't think there's any advantage to an ss barrel, I've hunted here in wet Washington state for the better part of 50yrs and never needed ss to prevent rust, just don't think there's any advantage there. There may be some advantages in how well the bore will wear, but for 99% of us, we'll never wear it out shooting it! Get what you like, that's what's important, even if it's just for the looks and how ya feel about it!! ;D

That's a start, more will come, I'm sure!! ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
All my Handi's are blued, and I only clean them whenever (two or three times a year).  Or after getting them wet during a rain storm (usually spray them down with WD-40).  So I see no advantage to SS. 

As for the slug barrel, with the 30-06 Handi, a 20ga rifled barrel can be added.  I believe the 20ga is just as accurate as the 12ga.  And with the newer saboted slugs I feel just as capable of killing a Deer.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lost.in.indiana

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
Thanks Tim and Sourdough - I really appreciate your comments.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger (pun intended) today, and ordered a couple of new Handi's - neither in stainless.  You read it right - a new .30-06 / 20 gauge combo (I just couldn't pass up on the 20ga barrel for an extra $20), and the Tracker II/Huntsman Combo.  I figured that it was almost as cheap to get the slug gun / muzzle loader combo as it would be to get the two barrels fitted, and the stock should be more suited to the rifle sights than the -06 stock.

I didn't mention last night that I already have a 20ga USH, but that thing is a pig to haul around all day on a stalk...  With my Nikon 3-9x scope on it, it has to tip the scales at over 10 pounds.  I know that the 5-1/2lb 12 gauge is going to kick a lot harder, but I've got my lead sled to sight it in with, and I have found that shooting off hand at deer, I never feel recoil anyways...  Now, if it were as accurate as my USH...  Wouldn't that be nice?   ;)

Does anybody know what the choke is that comes with the .30-06/20 gauge combo?  They are no longer listed on the H&R website, and I am just curious.  I justified the purchase to my wife by saying it will be our daughter's first shotgun (she's 7 months old right now ;D).

Thanks again for your input.  I could (and have) (and will) spend hours reading the posts here.

John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:50:11 PM »
Congrats John!! They don't make em anymore, hope ya get em, they dropped a bunch of their offerings this year, but only added a few new things! :-\ They do have some 3 barrel combos coming out, one of which is now available. Can't help ya on the choke, sorry.

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:59:12 PM »
I believe they are modified. good deal on the combo's
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline lost.in.indiana

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
You know, I had read that somewhere about the combos...  Hopefully they will come in.  I ordered the USH last summer from the local Wal-Mart, and the manager in the sporting goods department called his firearm distributor before we did the paperwork to make sure that it would come in quickly.  They didn't do that today...  Just took my money...  I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes in! 

It will be like Christmas all over again, but this time with guns!

What is the 3 barrel combo you mention?  I don't see one on the H&R website anywhere.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:27:32 PM »
Uh oh, I checked Sports South, Walmart's supplier, they don't have any of the combos in stock, they don't even list em anymore, cept for the .22-250/20ga. You should read the FAQ, that info is in there, how to check!! ;)

The 3 barrel combos were on their web site since last year, but they're just getting around to offering them now, and only a total of 1000 total of several different types, with rimfires included. I posted about one that's now available in a new thread tonight.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,85535.0.html

Offline lost.in.indiana

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
Now that is frustrating...  I read that in the FAQ the other day about checking the supply, but it didn't sink in.  I'll call the store tomorrow, and maybe there is some magic that can be done.  We shall see...

If not, I guess the 30-06 is paid for in full already.  I didn't really "need" that extra slug gun or muzzle loader...  (that's what my wife says...) 

Oh who am I kidding?  Order me a SS Sidekick instead!

John