Author Topic: A Great Day In The Woods  (Read 639 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
A Great Day In The Woods
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:16:39 AM »
Its been quite windy here in Maryland for, oh, about 6 years now (or at least it seems that way).  Not good for early season squirreling while the leaves are still on the trees.  But, yesterday the moon's lined up right, the hunting gods smiled upon us and we were blessed with one of the most perfect hunting days in a long time. Temps in the mid 60's, an occasion soft breeze and clear/sunny skies. 

I grabbed the Pardner 16 ga. and called Mrs. EVOC ONE at work an let her know I would probably be late for dinner.  She chuckled and told me to have fun.  I'm up on the mountain at about 2:30 and immeadiatly notice that sweet smell of the autumn leaves and a soft, occasional breeze blowing through the leaves that remain on the trees.  The ones that were blown off, create a new, crunchy blanket on the ground.  The rays of the low sun form angled lanes of light through the trees and shrubs.  Absolutely beautiful.  I enter the woods using a worn old trail.  I'm not 100 yards in the wood and I hear squirrels barking from three different directions.   I begin making my way in the direction of one of the barks, which sounds like its coming from an area that is a good spot for a bagging one or two.  The crunchy leaves force me to move slow and deliberate. 

I've moved about 50 yrds or so and pause.  The barking is getting closer.  They're just where a thought they would be ... playing in some oak's which are standing tall above a large grove of mountain laurel bushes.  The laurel creates a very thick, green bottom.  I've bagged many under that laurel.  I wait for a moment.  Looking.  Listening.  There seems to be two or three barking at each other.  Finally, one peeks out from around the tree.  Head down, tail flicking.  He a good distance, but the shot is clear, the 16 has a full choke and I'm using 1 oz game loads.  I slowly raise the Pardner up.  I can see him barking at the others.  He moves around the tree, but his move favors me.  Boom! (actually it's more like a slap) goes the 16 and down he comes.  As I reload, I see another one about 15 yards to the left of the first one.  I can only see his tail flicking though and he is barking up a storm.  I stand still, not wanting to give up my position.  He is in a tree, but I don't have a clear shot.  After a couple minutes I begin to slowly move in his direction, still watching his tail flicker from behind the tree.  I move about 4-5 steps and there he is.  He comes to my side of the tree and sits in the crotch of a branch and the trunk. Slap! goes the 16.  He folds up like the first one and hits the ground with a thud.  Still aware that others are around, I gather them up as quietly as possible.

I usually like to hunt the outside of the laurel grove due to it being thick, but in gathering the downed squirrels, I locate a small clearing withing the grove and decide to make my stand there.  Its 3:30.   I settle in and begin taking in the beautifull scenery and smells of a late autumn day. At one point a Hawk flies in and lands atop a tree about 20 yards away.  He looks around for few minutes, then continues on. I watch a couple woodpeckers knocking on the side of a couple trees. Chipmunks scurry along the many blowdowns.  As the afternoon begins to fade into early evening, the sun is hidden by another mountain and the early evening light turns the woods into a array of orange and browns.  Is this heaven or what?  I'm sitting on my three-legged folding stool and am as about as relaxed as one can get, when I hear rustling in the leaves behind me.  I slowly raise up and eventually see another squirrel coming in my direction on the ground under the laurel.  He's rooting through the leaves looking for food, but he doesn't see me.  He disappears behind behind some logs.  I'm straining to see where he is, but the shadows of the early evening create dark areas.  He  re-appears on the side of a tall oak, just above the Laurel.  He's found a nut and went up a tree to have a snack.  Slap! goes the 16., down goes number three.  That's enough fun for one day.  I gather my gear, add the last one to the game bag and make my way out of the woods, savoring the sights of the forest welcoming dusk on my way out.

This wonderful day ends with Mrs EVOC ONE listening to the events of the day with a smile on her face while I'm tending to the squirrels.

What a day!

EVOC ONE 

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: A Great Day In The Woods
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »
That sounds much nicer than my day at work.

Congrats on a nice day in the woods and some tasty treats.

Offline longjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »
hey Evoc  you said moutain in there so you must be on the other side of the bridge ;) what awesome end to a beautiful day , we have some great days like that over here  on the eastern shore also ;D ;D

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:01:08 PM »
Nice story, thanks for sharing. I'd love to get out, but it's a little too cold for me (-12) and the snow is knee deep...

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:25:02 AM »
Longjohn:  You guessed it, I'm up in "Fredneck" Co.  Years ago, I used to hunt a farm in Vienna with a couple guys.  Great place on the East side of the bridge.

Dave Weiss:  While that day in October was not unusual for late Autumn weather here in Maryland, we have had a very mild winter  on the right coast.  So far this year, no snow in the Mid-Atlantic and this past weekend the temps reached the low 70's.  It been consistantly in the 50's -60's the entire winter.  There is another member from Alaska, Sourdough, who writes some of the best stories of his hunting adventures up there.  You guys might get rough winters, but you must live in one of the worlds greatest places for an outdoorsman.

Thanks.

Joe

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »
Oh yes, I had a great fall. Lot's of grouse this year (ruffed and spruce). Gunner and I did very well. Most years we don't get this much snow and we can hunt until the end of March. On the bright side I have all this time to play with the Handi and work up a good load for bear hunting this spring  ;).

Thanks again for the story.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline buckslugger

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:44:50 AM »
if my doctor says i can start using my arm tomorrow im getting out to do some squirrel snipin, how about posting some recipes sir .sounding good, for the week ahead, ive never cooked any up yet

roy
live life large