Author Topic: pardner pump  (Read 856 times)

Offline langcjl

• Trade Count: (0)
pardner pump
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
I handled one of the NEF pump guns last night at Gander Mountain and really liked it. I would like to buy one for a dedicated slug gun. Problem is that,according to the catalog the slug gun comes with a synthetic stock on the 12ga and wood on the 20. I would like a 12ga in wood. I have no use for a field barrel or a combo type deal. Would the company sell me one like that if I asked? My search for a new gun would be over if I could get that gun. Well almost over, I would like to get a look in person at the Exell semi-autos. Has anyone tried these guns out?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: pardner pump
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:59:23 PM »
I think you maybe kinda stuck, there.  I have read that the 870 stocks will fit a Pardner Pump, but I cannot verify that.  If ya don't want the combo with a slug barrel included, it seems the only other option is the synthetic slug gun.  One thing for sure, you would save money buying the combo over buying the walnut stock field gun and adding the slug barrel.  Barrel Accessory price on the slug barrel is $128.  Another option would be the Pardner Pump Protector.  Smoothbore 18 1/2" barrel.  It, too, is D/T'd for a scope.  It would be cheaper to shoot but it still would not solve the stock problem.  Just another option to consider.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:25:15 AM »
Here's another iption for you. Buy an American made gun an get a Ultra Slug or a Tracker two. The accuracy of both of these guns has been talked about on here as long as I've been here.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline langcjl

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »
Just asking about a NEF/H&R gun on the NEF\H&R forum. As a Veteran I must say thanks for the backdoor slight with the "buy an American gun comment". Not needed but appreciated none the less.
   I do have a NEF 10ga and have been looking at the Ultra Slug hunter which currently is the gun to beat for me but here I was asking about the guns mentioned.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:14:45 PM »
I just wanted to make sure you noticed the little Made In China on the receiver because some folks that purchased the Pardner pump didn't notice until they got it home. I don't have as much a problem with the gun being made in china as I do with the way it isn't mentioned in NEF  adds or their website. The name pardner has long been associated with the U.S.A made single shot and I think it was a sneeky marketing angle to stick that name on the pump. I remember a few posts a while back here and on the old H&R talk board that folks didn't notice until it was to late. I have tons of chinese crap in my house. I know you can't really help but buy chinese stuff anymore. It was probably a profitable venture for NEF/H&R but it ticked me off. Your question was certainly appropriate for this forum and I meant no offense in my response. Thanks for your service to our country. Buy an 870 if you want a pump there are tons odof barrels, Stocks and other accessories for them on ebay and elsewhere.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline langcjl

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:27:35 PM »
I know the Excells are imported also, anyone know where from?
No offence taken on the response, I went back and read it and it didnt really come out like I meant it.

Swampman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »
I'd buy a Mossberg or Remington.  They are cheap enough at Walmat, and provide work that feeds an American family.

Being American made is the major reason I buy Pardners and Handis.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
I have to agree with swampman....Don't get much better than a Mossy 500 for a pump gun.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline longjohn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
this post got me to thinkin..... hmmm so the sparton arms  marketed by remington sorta fall in the same category as they are russian made (if i am correct).  my son and i were at gander mtn the other day and comparied the pardner pump and the 870 (i am sure there are inner workings that are different)  but on the oustside they sure look alot alike. tho i dont have the experience that most of you guys do ,  i agree with Markus that it was a marketing ploy .  how ever it is still branded nef and if does the job that someones is looking for and saves a few bucks thats ok too ;)  at gander mtn here in Salisbury the Pardner pump 12 ga sells for $169.99..............

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:50:46 AM »
I know the Excells are imported also, anyone know where from?
No offence taken on the response, I went back and read it and it didnt really come out like I meant it.

I recall reading that the Excell is believed to be made by Verona in Turkey. Check out Shotgun World.com and go to the Verona forum.

When I first saw the Pardner pump I too became excited that my favorite company was producing a different firearm for me to add to the cabinet.  I contacted NEF for addition info. and was told the gun was manufactured in China (to NEF specs) and assembled here in the States.  Upon inquiring about its similarity to the 870, I was told that NEF didn't want to re-invent the wheel, they just wanted to provide a pump shotgun to their customers and chose a design as close as possible, but not so close as to infringe upon copyright violations, to what they believed was the finest pump gun produced, the Rem 870.

Around that time there was a lot of discussion and some pretty convincing information around the net indicating the Pardner was manufactured by a company owned by the Chinese Army (CA).  I cannot recall specific posts or document info, but do I recall that somewhere someone posted printed information that proved, to me, that the information about the CA was correct.

I still look at the Pardner when I see one and do wish it was made somewhere other than China or, at least, by a different company.  The mid $100 price for a walnut stocked copy of the 870 is hard to pass by.  However, the Mossberg Maverick can be had for the same price and is essentially a Mossberg 500.  Also, I reguarly see used Mod 500's (including their store lables models) anywhere from $100 - up. 

Regarding the Sparten.  I see very little discussion about its place of manufacture in Russia, in the same way as the Pardner.  I have read that Balkal (the company that manufactures the Sparten)  has a reputation for making a heavy, bulky, workingmans guns that can be knocked around a bit.  While they appear to be not without flaws, I do not recall have the impression that the majority of those who have them and have written of them are disappointed. 

I recently came across an interesting article from the July 2000 issue of Guns & Ammo.  The article was a "Proof House" test of the  Norinco Model 98 Pump shotgun. I wish to quote a couple lines from the article:

"We recently had an opportunity to test what is probably one of the better deals-moneywise-in pump-action "social" scatterguns.  Retailing for less than $200, the Norinco Model 98 is being imported from China by Intersate Arms Corporation of Northridge, California. Visually, it is a dead ringer for a Remington 870, yet parts are not interchangeable with the higher priced domestic brand. The Norinco M98 features the same dual action bars and easily detachable trigger assembly as the 870."

Perhaps the Pardner is not so new?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 04:06:32 AM »
EVOC ONE,

Your are correct, that model has been around for a few years. The Pardner Pump used to look just like a 870 with a longer magazine tube until the last year or two. When they added the 3-1/2" model they put the humpback on all the models, including the 20ga.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 07:24:17 AM »
Ah, yes.  They did change the design, didn't they?  I do now recall seeing the new model.  Sorta looks a bit like the Excell with the mild hump-back receiver.  And, I believe, it is still made in China.

Swampman

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:06 AM »
A good website even though NEF isn't listed.

http://www.usstuff.com/