Author Topic: Hunting in British Columbia  (Read 554 times)

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting in British Columbia
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
A friend of mine has relatives in B.C. and wants to set up a big game hunt of some kind there.  We are both U.S. residents.  I know you have to have a guide if you are not a Canadian resident and that is about all I know.  I found a website for the Ministry of the Environment for B.C. but I am still unsure about a few things.  I saw the prices for a non-resident alien, which would be me, license and the cost of the tags.  What if any tags are available "over the counter?"  Also, how much of a headache, if at all, is it to transport a firearm and/or your animal across the border?  Any other relavant input would be appreciated as well.

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hunting in British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
Don't try taking a handgun into the People's Republic of Kanada.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
I don't know about BC, but I've been investigating hunting in Alberta, if they have similar rules, an alien can hunt with a hunting host also, doesn't have to be a guide. The link below may be of help to ya in finding out the particulars for BC.

Tim

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:09 AM »
Hi, I've been fortunate to hunt often in the 100 Mile House area of B.C.. Yes, guides are necessary for big game. The guide in that case will give you a letter to assist you in getting through Canadian Customs. Before you exit the U.S., stop by U.S. Customs and "register" your weapons and expensive gear (binocs, camera's, etc), so when you re-enter the U.S. you have proof that they belong to you, to avoid U.S. duty fee's. The "registration" is a one-page form that will be stamped, and you keep it. No "Page two" (big-brother stuff). As mentioned, HANGUNS/BEAR SPRAY not allowed. RIfles need a minimum barrel of 18", vs 16 in U.S. You do not need a guide for small game/waterfowl. Some years the grouse is fantastic, and the rabbit/hare bag limit is very generous, but I have seen only a few in my travels. Lots of coyote's available. Lets see...U.S. auto ins. is recognized there, but they have a minimum liatility coverage higher then the minimum in some states, I think they require 50K or 100K. Use plastic for the best exchange rates, but I carry Canadian cash, which I get at a bank where I cross. You'll need a passport to re-enter U.S. Bringing game back should be no problem, but check with U.S. Customs as you leave the states about what you hope to bring back, and talk to Canadain Customs as you enter and check with them also. In the past, with Chronic Wasting/Mad Cow scare, there was a time when no spine/brain could be brought back, and if meat was processed in Canada, a certificate from butcher shop stating no beef in 'burger and/or sausage was added. This may have been changed, but check ahead. If you scroll down to the "Hunting in Canada" forums I have soom responses there also that may have more info for you. Feel free to pm me with any specific question. Good luck. Mark.

Offline eroyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
We buy a generic "(specific species) tag"over the counter, and it is up to the hunter to decide which Management Unit (M.U.) they wish to hunting. As long as there's a general open season and you haven't exceded the Provincial bag limit your good to go. In addition there are "Limited Entry Hunts", ie. the Draw but it only applies to residents.

As a non-resident alien ( :o) you by law will be hunting with a licensed guide. The guide will have his quota for an area and will inform you of what you require.