Author Topic: Sighting-in for optimum performance (PBR)  (Read 18300 times)

Offline BUTCHER45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sighting-in for optimum performance (PBR)
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
     These are excellent articles that will show you how to get optimum performance from your hunting rifle or handgun by sighting-in to your bullet's fullest potential according to it's PointBlankRange.

For Rifles:  http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight-in_rifle.htm

For Handguns:  http://www.chuckhawks.com/bench_rest_handgun.htm

Rifle Trajectory Table:  http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Handgun Trajectory Table (condensed version):  http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm

BUTCHER45

click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: Sighting-in for optimum performance (PBR)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
Make sure to test your caliber at two or more increments past the inital sightin yardage (as said by the chuckhawks or other data ) because your published velocity may not be up to snuff and this testing is really the only way to tell if you do not own a chronograph.
It had been my experience that the published velocitys can be overly optomistic in some cases and the testing is really the only way to tell. This is harder work as you may have to use a measuring tape & pins but will  tell you like it is with the added benifit of not having to buy a chronograph at all.

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:28:58 AM »
Anyone who hasn't practiced at a given range has no business shooting at that range.  Even if the bullet manufactures are dead on and you have the test barrel length to the tee.  Nobody should ever fire on a game animal past where they know themselves to be proficient.
NRA Member

Offline ol mike

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:30:39 AM »
The chuck hawk site has some good info. but there are a few free online ballistic software sites you can go to.
You don't have to download anything just use their site.

Go to www.biggameinfo.com  and click on external ballistic program ,then just plug in your info .

With a little research to find your bullets actual -bc-  -then plug in your elevation , velocity etc..

Although the bottom line is you still need to shoot ' your ' gun at these ranges.Don't shoot in extreme hot or cold temperatures b/c you'll get higher velocity in hot weather and lower in cold.

Since this info is on a big game site -i disagree w/ using it on predator/varmints b/c your target is MUCH smaller.Look at the mid-range trajectory -you'll see that you can easily overshoot and animal at 150yds..

Personnaly for a predator calling rifle i don't like the mid range rise to be more than 1.5" so a 22-250 hitting dead on at 200yds is perfect to me..

Get out and shoot out to 300-400yds --a lot of fun and easier than you think to make good hits...

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:35:53 AM »
Being a lousy predator caller but having a bit of understanding of ballistics, I'd say that the 1.5" MRT is probably a good idea. First off your calling. If your decent at it, your shot shouldn't be all that far should it? What do you have, about a 4" or so kill zone? Using a MPBR  with a 3" kill zone would make the MRT 1.5".

In my 243 with 75gr V-Max bullets my MPBR is 243yds (bullet 1.5" low). MPBZ is 215 yds (bullet +/- 0"). at 150 yds the bullet is +1.4".  Seems to me that for called predators that's plenty good. By the way, bullet impact at 200 yds is +.4". I've shot at these ranges but with a 5" target  and it works well. The bad thing about the 5" target is that if what you have is a head shot at about 150 yds and you hold on the center, you'll shoot over the top. A three inch target will get it done. Gonna go re-sight my 243!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline ol mike

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:53:46 PM »
My 22-250 shooting a 55gr sierra blitzking -real world test not computer software  , dead on at 200yds  puts me about 3/4" high at 100yds and 3.5" low at 300yds.

A TRUE lazered 300yd shot is a long shot in the field !!

The biggest thing a person must overcome is holding over b/c you THINK  a shot is farther than it really is.

Under calling conditions in the field and the buckfever effect-- forget trying to estimate range -put the crosshair on the kill zone and squeeze the trigger ,,providing you're shooting a flat shooting modern rifle.

If you've seen any of the coyote hunting videos -you'll notice LOTS of guys shooting over the back of coyotes.I'd be willing to bet many are sighted in 1.5 - 2" high at 100yds trying to stretch the mpbr.MPBR is for hitting a whitetail/mule deer or elk in the shoulder and the mig-range [where most shots in calling are taken] is too high.

I made the mistake of using it and ended up back where the old-timers told me 3/4 - 1" high at 100yss.

Offline BUTCHER45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
      I myself hunt animals with smaller kill-zones as well.  Of course to adjust for the size of quarry simply cut the big-game over-under measurement down to more like an inch and a half rise/fall for a varmint-sized animals. 
      I have yet to do this but can't wait to get to the range and do it.  I overshot the first three rabbits I shot at trying to shoot them in the head because I held-over to high sighted in dead-on at 25meters.

BUTCHER
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline Catfish

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »
I built a .22-6mm for a long range coyote rifle. It wears a Leupold 8 1/2 x 25 MK 1V scope. The longest kill on a coyote so far is 350 yrds., but feel sure I should be able to do well out to 800 with it. I`m useing an 80 gn. bullet and pishing them at abt. 3,480 fps. right now. I carry a good range finder and a drop chart that has been field tested and dial in the elevation for each shot. Once I get to 800 yrds. the bullet drop is getting pretty steep and I really have to have the yardage right on, plus the wind drift is getting pretty hard to guess if you have much wind, especially if it`s variable as it can change velosities and even direction several time between you and the target. As stated I dial in drop, but use mil-dot for wind drift.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:56:28 PM »
I also use a MPBR system for my rigs and intended tgt. size-- BUT MPBR is always calculated CONSERVATIVELY  for no more than 3/4ths tgt. size. I also use a MPBR rangefinding system with my scope reticles as well, that's explained here-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf under Item C) Reticle-Rangefinding

Offline bman940

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
Butcher,
I would like to add one more link to your inital post.
The Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program has proven to be a huge success for hunters/shooters.
All you have to do is plug in your load data a few more bits of information and hit FIRE, you will get a detailed read out of what your ammo can do. If you happen to shoot a BDC reticled scope it will also give you the distances for the circles at different magnification settings.
I think it is definitely worth taking a look at and it's free. Of course there is no substiture for range time to become truly familiar with your scope, rifle and ammo.
Go to Nikonhunting.com
Click on Spot On
Then you plug in your data.
Take a look and let me know what you think.
bman940
Nikon Pro Staff