Author Topic: 6.5 for elk  (Read 884 times)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
6.5 for elk
« on: May 06, 2003, 02:15:22 PM »
hey guys! just curious, but has anyone used the 6.5x55 for elk? i realize it may be a bit light, but i know someone has used it out there. lets hear your experiences!

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
6.5 for elk
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 03:23:28 AM »
I haven't used mine, but would.  I shoot 140 grain Barnes XLCs though, so I don't worry too much about good penetration.  I wouldn't try to stretch the range.  I like to get as close as possible anyway, so that wouldn't be a limitation to me.  I've never hunted elk with a rifle (only bow and muzzleloader), so take this for what it's worth!

Edit:  By the way, the 6.5X55 has proven itself as a great hunting cartridge on large moose in Scandanavia, so why not elk?

Offline Robert

DesertRam....
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 05:46:18 AM »
I certainly beleive a 6.5 in the hands of a bow-hunter would be plenty to take even the toughest Elk.  Archers usually have enough patience to wait for the perfect shot.
....make it count

Offline Lawdog

6.5 for elk
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 11:04:55 AM »
hillbill,

My wife used hers to take Caribou, Moose and Black Bear in Alaska last fall.  Caribou and Moose were a one shot kills and the Black Bear she shot twice, the second being an insurance shot.  She plans on using her Swede for Elk this year and also when we go back to Alaska.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.