Author Topic: 280 to 280AI  (Read 821 times)

Offline stratocaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
280 to 280AI
« on: April 23, 2003, 04:50:32 AM »
Can you just take a std .280 Rem and have it rechambered to a 280AI?  Would the headspace be ok or would the barrel have to be "turned in"?  Is there something I'm not thinking of?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
280 to 280AI
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 05:16:46 PM »
Yes, you have to set the barrel back a thread and rechamber from there. If you don't it won't be a true AI chamber and will not be safe to fire factory ammo in. Remember the rule, the "go" guage for the factory chamber becomes the "no go" guage for the AI chamber.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Triigo

.280 to .280 imp
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 06:46:55 AM »
I'm in the process. Chambered &
fire-formed a bunch of brass. I went with a .280 RCBS imp, because it has
A 30* shoulder, as opposed to the Ackley's 40*. This is for improved feeding, as the 40* tends to bump the cartrige around a bit.
  I did re barrel, but first re cahmbered the factory bbl to check it out, and use it for fire forming brass.
  I've been told, the Ackley reamer is made to run in the factory chamber
and if done properly, will leave the chamber OAL .004" short, to prevent headspace problems.
          However  I did shorten chamber before running the reamer, just to have the factory job complete removed, and not have any erosion from the old chambering.
  I'm still looking for load data for this round, as it is sketchy
                                            Good luck, Tom

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
280 to 280AI
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 10:23:50 AM »
If I remember correctly, load data for the 280AI can be found in the Nosler reloading guide.
VH