Author Topic: SPRING TURKEY 07 NON-RESIDENT  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

• Trade Count: (2)
SPRING TURKEY 07 NON-RESIDENT
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »
Started turkey hunting a few years ago and look forward to that more then deer hunting. Live in Michigan, but don't hold that against me. Would like to be able to hunt spring turkey in Ohio. Would have to hunt public property as I don't know anyone in OH. Open to suggestions about hunting in OH.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: SPRING TURKEY 07 NON-RESIDENT
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 08:13:02 AM »
If your question is about whether non-res can hunt turkey, I think there is a non-res 3day permit but don't know exactly what it covers? check the Ohio Div. of Wildlife website and they have all the info in downloadable format.  If the question is public areas to hunt, you would do better if you travel to the N. eastern parts of the state where there is more public hunting areas and a higher concentration of birds.  Good luck!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
Thank you. Trying to findout about huntable public land. Have looked at some of the numbers but don't know Ohio well enough to know where the counties are located.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:19:29 PM »
cowboy,

where are you located and how far do you want to travel?  we could recommend some public land easier with more information.  One thing though, the public land I have hunted in the past two years do have turkeys but they have heard a lot of calling and are not dumb!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »
Jal,
What are you saying "they aren't dumb"? Its not so much about what I take home its about the time I spend there. Deep Purple said it well "its not the kill its the thrill of the chase." Had figured that Ashtabula County would be a 4 to 5 hour drive. That county has the best numbers however there doesn't seem to be that much land open to public hunting. Basicly I would like to have an idea where I might find a reasonable hunt with a campground  near byto flop in for the night. I may be by myself at this point I am not sure.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 06:57:03 AM »
Jal,
What are you saying "they aren't dumb"? Its not so much about what I take home its about the time I spend there. Deep Purple said it well "its not the kill its the thrill of the chase." .
Well said, I can't tell you how many times I have been skunked hunting turkeys that hang up or don't come to the calls, yet still had an excellent day! I just meant that they are educated to calls on the state park lands.  You are right ashtabula does not have many public hunting areas. However, at least in my area Jefferson Co. and the surrounding counties, there are public areas on either state park lands or state forest tracts both of which have camping too.  Don't overlook the state forest lands as they don't get the number of hunters generally that state parks do although they are smaller tracts. these tend to be your sleeper places only the locals go to. Your best bet is to look online at the state park webpages or state forests (probably two different pages?) and see how far you want to drive to one of them in a county that has a good harvest count from last year or the year before.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:00:55 AM »
check out this link to the state forest areas-
http://www.ohiodnr.com/forestry/forests/map.htm
Maumee state forest would be pretty close to Michigan too.

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »
Jal,
Thanks for the web page. That would be an easy drive. Will take a good look at that.

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:26 PM »
Jal,
Took the harvest by county and put the number of bird taken over the past 2 years on each county.  It reallly show where the best places are. You've got a bunch of birds around you in the south east part of the state.. Next will look for public property open to hunting within the better areas.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »
Could you send me that county/bird document? It would be interesting to see.

We do have a lot of birds in Jefferson. I even saw a hen a couple of years ago at the mall in front of the Sears tire store!
During our early deer bow season this year, I was in a stand on private property and 9 birds walked almost under my stand. I thought the fall turkey season had ended the day before and found out later I could have shot one of them with the bow!  The turkey gun season had ended the previous day but the bow season continued on for another several days. That same day I got a deer so it would have been a real double header for me. ;D

Offline kidolds

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »
Thier is good hunting around paint creek state park (good public hunting around the dam hint hint) I also hunt in Jackson co. Wayne National forest. Good public and privet. I do not know how far south you want to go but hope this helps.

Offline Drugstore Cowboy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 12:06:27 AM »
Thank you. I am looking at some of the places you've mentioned. Your comment is the first to list a location.