Author Topic: Civil War 12 Pdr. Coehorn Mortar Plans  (Read 1808 times)

Offline powder2burn

• Trade Count: (0)
Civil War 12 Pdr. Coehorn Mortar Plans
« on: January 10, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
Does anyone have or have they seen or do they know where to find CW era plans or drawings of a 12 pdr. coehorn mortar? Lutz's AOP book listings do not have any for the 12 pdr. coehorn.

I did find 'CU Cannon's' post of Nov.19,2005.  In that post he had drawings of a 12 pdr. he scaled down from a 24 pdr. Union coehorn mortar. Those drawings show the bands the 24 pdr. had. I do not believe the North made any 12 pdrs. only the South. If that is so I would think the Southern 12 pdr. would have straight sides.
Do it to Them, Before they Do It To You

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Re: Civil War 12 Pdr. Coehorn Mortar Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 03:14:41 AM »
I think that it was only the Confederates that had an actual 12pdr coehorn.  I liked the looks of the Union better so that’s why I built one in that from.  It took much longer than I had thought but I’m happy with the results. 

The confederate version was the same for the most part.  The sides were straight with no reinforcing rings.  The end of the barrel was rounded.  The bed was also less ornate with either square ends or plain bevels.  The form of the bore was the same for both I believe.  I’m sure someone out there has some specific dimensions and such. 

You could eliminate the reinforcing bands on my plans and have a mortar that was reasonably accurate historically.  Unless someone really knows artillery they will never know the difference.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:42:06 AM »
I have plans for the Confederate 12 PDR. It's as described above.

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
J read somewhere that no know originals exist of the 12 pounder.  Does anyone know of one?

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
J read somewhere that no know originals exist of the 12 pounder.  Does anyone know of one?

I believe this is a regularly argued topic over on the N-SSA board.  There are some around but not generally believed to be original.  Apparently ample evidence exist to confirm their existance.

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:10:17 PM »
Thanks I have not seen the NSSA board but will look.  Anyone have pics of the ones discussed?  Are they in private hands?  I have a piece of 6 1/2 inch bar stock about 16" long........................................................so you know what is coming.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »
I believe there is a 12 PDR CSA Coehorn at  New Market Battle field... some say it's real most say its a replica.

Your  6 1/2 inch piece is to small for a 12 PDR, but will make a 6PDR like mine