Author Topic: Extended carry and easy maintenance  (Read 801 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
Extended carry and easy maintenance
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
I plan on taking my Pietta Navy .36 caliber on our yearly spring trip to the camp in Maine.
Around the camp normal shooting and cleaning can be done. But we always do a trip up lake for a few days and try fishing the streams for trout that flow into the lakes.
Usually I carry a medal cartridge revolver of some type. But this year I want to carry the Navy. I may shoot a cylinder or two. I may not have time or want to clean the Cap and Ball everyday.
So I’m thinking on using 777 or American Pioneer Powder to ease on corrosion and clean up. Any tips on extended loaded carry and easy maintenance  would be appreciated.
The weather in the day can be 30-60 degrees with sun or snow and rain typical Eastern Maine early spring weather.

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Extended carry and easy maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »
I always use genuine 3f in my revolvers, but because it is far less corrosive, I keep a pound of 777 on hand for extended carry. 777 is very sensitive to oil fouling, so before loading for extended carry, I put a charge of 777 in a single chamber, cap it and shoot. Repeat this six times, until each chamber has been fired. If you attempt to charge all six, they will all go at once because there are no bullets to shield flashiver. After burning the oil out of the chambers, I remove the cylinder, and wrap a patch soaked with olive oil around a bore brush, and run it through the bore. The third patch should be pretty clean. DO NOT CLEAN THE CHAMBERS. I then wipe the outside surfaces with a patch of Birchwood Casey Sheath. After you have wiped the recesses around the nipples, use a pipe cleaner dipped in melted bees wax to put a thin coat of wax around the outside of each nipple. Put the cylinder back in the revolver, and load it, placing a wad dipped in bees wax under the ball. Cap the nipples, and seat them firmly (but not too firmly) with a piece of wood. I have carried a revolver loaded in this manner for as long as two weeks, rain and shine, and when shooting it empty before returning home, I have only had one misfire, and it went on the second try. If you decide to do some recreational shooting, you might want to put a little of your favorite lube over the ball, because the bees wax is only there to seal, and does little to keep fouling soft. I carry a baby food bottle with a dozen patches siaked with oilive oil and a pistol rod for use in the field. After shooting, do the same as you did the first time,(omitting the wax on the nipples) but wipe the outside with the olive oil patches you have along. Clean it properly when you get back to where its feasible.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 03:25:13 AM »
I've had good luck with 777 and wonderwads being a good extended carry method if it's not too hot.  So far, only for about 2 days as I often can't go that long without finding a reason to shoot the gun!  My Pietta .36 Navy is accurate enough for squirrel head shots at 15 yards.  I've regulated the rear sight notch by deepening it and widening it on whatever side I needed to drift point of aim.  It still maintains integrity for containing cap debris.  If I put the front post at the bottom of the notch, I can smack 5 balls into 1.5 inches at 15 yards point of aim!  My load is 20 grains 777, wonder wad and ball.  I don't put any lube over the balls, although if I was going to be in high humidity or moisture, I suppose sealing the chambers with a little beeswax would be a good fix.

Dan

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:09:54 AM »
Thanks Guys for the info. The Pietta Navy is my first cap and ball revolver, so I'm not knowledgeable at all with their function. There's a possibility I'll shoot a squirrel or two while up lake. But mostly just want it loaded with a reasonably chance that it will fire if needed.The dog may get into something, boat motor won't start and then an interesting walk back to camp. Whatever happens the Pietta should make for a good addition to the fish camp!