Author Topic: Deer rig / here is the scoop  (Read 721 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Deer rig / here is the scoop
« on: January 22, 2007, 06:30:45 PM »
I've been getting some flack for my post in the topic about Ohio handgun hunters , let me explain , the mod. 657 that i have in 41 GNR was bought with out knowing what it was . i knew that the 657 was a 41 Mag. however i did not know at the time that it had been re-chambered by Reeder .

On the barrel next to the 41 Mag that was stamped by the factory was script that said 41 GNR , the gun shop owner nor myself had ever herd of Gary Reeder and knew nothing of his work , we both thought that it was done by the guy that had owned it before . ( the script )

When i got the gun it came with a box of 41 Mag ammo with only 6 rounds shot and the spent cases were not in the box . i took the pistol to the range to test fire it and soon found out why it was in the shop , all 6 of the rounds i fired were swelled to the point that it split the cases all the way down to the rim . at first i thought that it had a bad cylinder and was going to send it to S&W for repair , but desided to take it to a local GS first .

He checked the cyl. and said its a Reeder , i asked him to explain , which he did , i e-mailed Gary and was told yes it was one of his and that he could provide dies and load data for it , which i got and use now .

The moral of this story is I DO NOT USE It to hunt deer in ohio , i do however use it to hunt other game here and will use it in other states were it IS Legal to use .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Deer rig / here is the scoop
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:55:37 AM »
Stimpy,

You know your going to have to let me touch off a round or two from that thing.... Yeppers, hm.... wonder if I could take a Marlin 44 mag, put the 41mag barrel on it and rechamber it....

NO no no, too many irons in the fire right now!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!