Author Topic: seating gas check straight  (Read 905 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
seating gas check straight
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=335653

Is anybody familiar with the above item?  I'd like to know if it would work with a SAECO Lubrisizer?

I hope the above link is not verbotten.  How do you all seat gas checks so they are nice and square??

Thanks,

Dean
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: seating gas check straight
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »
  dean, I use a .062" feeler under the check and lower the ram of my RCBS lubrisizer down till it bottoms out.Then I rotate the bullet as I raise and lower the ram a few times. This seats the check evenly all around. Then I remove the feeler and push the bullet into the lube die which crimps the check on. Any flat surface that fits between the bullet ,check and top of the seater nut will work.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 12:02:46 AM »
I made a tool for doing it by grinding and welding a bit on a pair of vise grips.
blue lives matter

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 08:27:33 AM »
This is the first that I've heard of the "problem"!  My RCBS lubrisizer has never failed to put one on straight as far as I can see.  Should I be looking closer?  Is this a common problem?  Inquiring minds want to know!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »
I would NOT say it's a common thing,but S%#t happens! A mold MAY cast to big,or a batch of checks gets thru QC a bit small.etc.
  I have a BUNCH of molds and use a variety of alloys,some are more compatible than others. When I use linotype alloy I get fat bases MOST of the time. The feeler makes it easier to seat the checks. Even when using a "push thru" die like a Lee, you can get checks squashed on one side or the other.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:02:22 AM »
I have a couple of moulds that cast slightly big on the gascheck shank. One of the worst is a 7mm SAECO. The checks are too tight to seat all the way by hand, so I very lightly press them all the way home with a small arbor press before I run them through the lubrisizer. If I don't do this they'll be inconsistant and much less accurate. But I can't push too hard or the noses upset a bit and won't chamber.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »
 nobade, I read on another post about some one chewing a piece of paper. Then he puts it into the opening of a "near" fit top punch. When he squashes it down on a bullet nose ,it forms to the nose . He allows it to dry and sizes/lubes his bullets. When he needs that top punch he picks the paper out. I haven't tried this YET ,but I can see it happening soon!

Offline hicard

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »
I just got one of those gascheck seaters and can't figure out how to install or use it?  Need help.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »
If I were to design something that does what it does, I would make it fit below the sizing die.  It would prevent the lower sizing follower from slipping down and sizing the bullets.  The push rod that returns the lower sizing follower would slip up inside but only far enough to lift the bullet out of the sizing die.
I would slip it into place under the sizing die and adjust the push rod depth nut to allow it to fit.

This is tougher to describe than it would be to do.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline poules'deau

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »
Since I don't cast and I like to shoot cast bullets with gas checks from time to time, I just take a bevel base SWC and tap the appropriate gas check on with a light rap with the hammer and that's it.  I then run them thru a luber/sizer Lee die and that seals the deal.  You can't tell it's a BB bullet.  Never had any problems and those I've been able to recover from the berms are still on, solid as ever  ;D

I reckon so....
The Outlaw Josey Wales