Author Topic: Looking for a durable scope for 12ga slug gun  (Read 867 times)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Looking for a durable scope for 12ga slug gun
« on: April 03, 2003, 05:55:21 AM »
Okay folks, I need some help on this one. I'm looking for a scope to mount on a 12ga slug gun. I want one that is a low power variable like a 1-4 and one that is durable. Also, I can't spend a fortune. The easy answer is a high end scope like a Leupold. What makes this hard is I want to stay under $125.

I have been researching this for a few weeks now and thier are so many varing opinions available that it makes it difficult to pin one down. I have considered the Bushnell Banner & Trophy, the Simmons ProDiamond, the new Nikon Prostaff Shotgun in 2-7x33 and the Cabela's Pine Ridge Shotgun in 2-7x33. I NIXED the Pine Ridge line up after taking to a guy at Cabelas who said that they get a very high rate of customer returns. Customers are saying that they are not happy with the Pine Ridge ones and the problems vary.

Looking for recomendations for those who have experiance with scopes on slug guns. The scope will be mounted cantilever style on a Mossberg.

Thanks
Mark
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline SeanD

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a durable scope for 12ga slug g
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 09:59:47 AM »
buy a used varix2 or fixed power leupold.  I have seen the 4x's for ~$100 used.  Then send it back to leupold and get the parallax changed for 75 yards and you are good to go.  At least thats what i would do.
sean

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 03:38:06 AM »
Cabin,

It's going to be tough to find a good scope for under $125.  The thing is that shotguns actually kick more than most rifles.  Specifically, a test was done where a 12 gauge Mossberg pump with 3 1/2" turkey loads actually had the same kick as a .458 Winchester! :eek:   You would never put a less expensive scope on a .458, so you shouldn't put one on such a shotgun.  Now, I don't know what kind of a shotgun you have, but still realize that shotguns GENERALLY need better than average scopes.

In your case, I too would try and look for a used Leupold Vari-X, but a III rather than a II.  Leupold's have great tracking and hold their zero.  I'm not sure about the parallax issue because I don't know what your average shots are.  Then again, most of my scopes that are parallaxed at 100 yards do just fine at 50, so I'm not quite sure what the effect of the whole parallax issue is really all about.

In my experience, I just can't recommend a new scope for under $125.  I totally understand your money limit, though, that's why I think that you'll be better off with a good used leupold.  Check out ebay - they have great deals there.

Zachary

Offline BLUESBERRY

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold scope
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 04:41:21 AM »
:D  :D   If interested,   i have a Leupold ,, M8-2x  scope, ,,extended eye relief,shotgun scope, with paralex set to 75 yards.  matte finish, heavy duplex, brand new in box, with all papers, shipped to you ,for 165.00$$,,,,,If interested, e-mail me at,,,  bruce581@attbi.com    thanks,,,,Bruce,,,

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 08:15:45 AM »
Now that's the kind of scope I was talking about.

Zachary

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 01:35:13 PM »
Bluesberry,

Thanks for the offer. I will give it consideration. Its more than I want to spend buts it is a great offer.

I will contact you if I decide to go with it.

Thanks again.

Cabin4
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3