Author Topic: Cheap .25's  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Will

• Trade Count: (0)
Cheap .25's
« on: May 05, 2003, 02:46:24 PM »
Hey guys, this is just out of pure curiosity.  Has anyone shot one of the cheap "saturday night special" .25 autos very much?  I'm talking about the Jennings, Bryco, Phoenix, Davis, Sundance, you know, the ones that run about $80.  I've seen them by the thousands, and somebody must be buying them.  Are they reliable or do they perform like I would think an $80 autopistol would perform?  I just noticed a bunch of them at a gun store today and realized that none of my shooting buddies have ever fired one.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline KN

Cheap .25's
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 03:21:28 PM »
You get what you pay for!  Especially when it comes to the kinds of pistols your talking about. Depend on one of those for self defense and you are probably going to die.  KN

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
Cheap .25's
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 03:24:59 PM »
I shot one years ago to test it for a woman. I believe it was a Raven or a Davis and that little gun was accurate. She shot it a few rounds and put it up. I believe most people that buy them load them and probably never shoot them.

Offline Geno

• Avid Poster
Had a Raven for awhile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 03:48:54 PM »
and an older one I cant remember the make anymore. Picked up the Raven in trade for about 50$ someone owed me. Wasnt bad. Tiny and hard to get used to. Accuracy was about what you expext out of a 1" barrel. Wasnt very powerful and bullets cost an aweful lot if I remember right. Fortunately, someone else wanted it enough to make me a profit on it , never regretted letting that one go. Wasnt very useful to anyone from what I could tell. :)

Offline Daveinthebush

Why not a .22
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 03:52:51 PM »
Take a look at the ballistics of a .22 and the .25 first.  Then price the ammunition.  I think that the .22 would be a better deal.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Gerald McDonald

Cheap .25's
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 04:24:06 PM »
You can afford to shoot the 22 more but you will have more feeding issues with a 22

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Cheap .25's
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 07:48:44 PM »
I bought a Raven years ago right after one of the national talk shows ran a special broadcast on guns of this type.  Obviously their take was that these "cheap" guns are the problem...not the criminal.  The Raven might be inexpensive from my point of view...but it is not cheap.  It feeds and fires as designed therefore it is a quality product.  But, as some have already said, mine too spends all of its time in the safe.

Anyway, the only thing I could think of to get back at Hollywood was to buy one of "those guns"...and I asked that the dealer replenish his inventory ASAP.  Doubt if one sale made a difference...but it's just about the only way a regular guy can get back at the pinkos!  

As a plinker, it's OK...but you get a lot more for your money (and fun) if you bought yourself a decent .22.  Those dang .25 rounds are high too...and to be fair, they aren't the best choice for a defense round.  You can buy .25 hollow-points but, that's like installing a turbo on a Geo Metro....what's the point?  A .25 might not be a real man-stopper...but I bet it would sure sting.

My  :money:

Be Safe!   ...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Cheap .25's
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 11:57:53 PM »
Years ago I reluctantly accepted a Bryco .380 as payment for a debt from a relative that I never would have seen any cash from. To my surprise, functioning was perfect, although I didn't shoot it much. Accuracy was what you would expect. I had some fun with it. When I got divorced, my ex wife took it with her. I didn't find out untill later. Oh well, I got rid of two pieces of !@#$ at the same time!

Offline willis5

• Contributor
Cheap .25's
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 02:37:57 AM »
I am sensing a slight to real dislike for any of these guns. I don't thikn I would bet my life on them either
cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Savage

Cheap .25's
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 02:36:06 PM »
I have owned and shot dozens of these over the years. Most I have seen and handled performed as intended. That is they fired and functioned. There is no glamor involved with the ownership of one of these firearms but I hope they will continue to be manufactured! There are a lot of good people out there that would be defenseless if these specimens were not available at so low a price. A gun, any gun that will function as intended is better than no gun at all!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Tony

Cheap .25's
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 08:27:11 PM »
I have a Phoenix Arms Raven in the 25 ACP, 6 round magazine capicity with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. I enjoy shooting mine although a 22 is lot cheaper to shoot. As far as accuracy goes, I guess its okay for the fixed sights so long as you are really close to your target. I say that if you have the money for one and that is want you want then buy it and enjoy shooting that underated little round. Remember a man or woman can never have enough firearms, knives, and all other outdoors equipment.
Certified Glock Armorer

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Cheap .25's
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 03:28:27 AM »
I think the biggest problem with accuracy in these guns is the triggers. They feel like they are about 20 lbs. In such a small package when the trigger pull is heavy the whole gun trns in your hand. I have what I consider to be a 1/2 step up in an acu-tech 380 and have tryed to lighten the trigger with no success otherwise it functions fine. I consider this a belly gun at best.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Savage

Cheap .25's
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 03:45:07 AM »
Correct on the trigger pull. Along with the grip size and the lack of sights.
I think you have to keep in mind the intended purpose of these guns. I don't know anyone who would consider these specimens as range guns. The primary reason for their existance is to provide a basic level of protection to nonshooters at a low price.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Questor

Cheap .25's
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 07:16:17 AM »
There's only one thing to do: Start some kind of competition with them.  Before you know it, there'll be $2,500 customized 25ACPs out there with all kinds of special embellishments.
Safety first

Offline Savage

Cheap .25's
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 07:32:17 AM »
You are absolutely right! I can see it now, a "Wilson Raven Deep Cover" with the green armour finish for $2500. Our club tried to have a fun match in place of our BUG match. The only stipulations were, the gun had to retail for under $200 bucks. The winner of the match had to be willing to sell his gun for that amount if another shooter wanted to buy it! Not much participation though, not many of the guys that had a gun they would part with for $200. bucks!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Questor

Cheap .25's
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 09:23:20 AM »
Savage:

That has a nice ring to it.  I can see it now.

I still say that if I ever decide to order a custom oddball barrel for my Contender, it will be chambered in 25ACP.  This is an utterly pointless piece of hobby work that could be tinkered with in solitude for years.  I can imagine myself designing specialty bullets that will work in the Contender, but not in an auto.  Another possibility, since the Contender is strong, is to develop a 25ACP+P and 25ACP magnum, all in the same case, but with hotter loading.  Being subsonic, it's already got one trendy attribute. In magnum, I can see blazing performance! pushing the envelope to yield  an eye popping velocity of just a flea's sneeze over 1050fps!!! Hot dawg!

The only danger is that I could become the 25ACP guru, and therefore a legendary laughing stock.
Safety first

Offline Questor

Cheap .25's
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 09:29:47 AM »
And then there's the possibility that Freedom Arms will chamber one in .25ACP magnum and sell it in presentation grade and field grade.

Ever the tireless experimenter, I'll have to work with Lyman to make some bullet moulds that are best suited to black powder loads for the 25.

Actually the black powder idea isn't a bad one for conventional 25 auto. If the bullet doesn't stop the assailant, the muzzle flame and the cloud of smoke will at least scare him.
Safety first

Offline Savage

Cheap .25's
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 01:29:44 PM »
Questor,
You're really having fun with this one aren't you! You might run into cartridge identification problems with this round in a black powder loading.
Hummm 25 caliber with 06 grains black powder. You don't suppose someone might try to chamber and fire one of these in a rifle do you?
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
Cheap .25's
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2003, 03:10:31 PM »
:-D   Hi guys.  I own a J-22 .which is one of the guns I think this thread might have started on...At any rate you are talking about the Jennings.  i have had several of them,in the .22 cal,and the .380.  I still have the original J-22 that is over 15 yrs old now.  The black paint is almost all off of it,and I have had to replace the extracter spring.  In that time it functioned as intended.  Like Savage said.  it shot and ejected the rounds.  I did find tht they are a little ammo sensitive,but mine has had probably 1500 rounds through it,and it still works.  They were not intended for target guns,but for personal protection.  I would trust mine if I had to,but I do have a lot of other sexier guns to carry.  Stay Safe...King :roll:  :roll:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Savage

Cheap .25's
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2003, 04:41:58 PM »
Well here goes! I know this will invoke the scorn of all the gun snobs out there, but--------------. Many moons ago in the blissful ignorance of youth I happened upon a Jennings J-22 in the sporting goods dept of a Gibson store. Just $40 for this little chrome plated jewel. It went home with me that night, and was my constant companion on fishing trips and quiet strolls through the woods. That little gun shot better than it had a right to!
The little jewel actually outshot a Ruger Bearcat in an informal target match! Pop cans at 25yds were easy targets. The little jewel functioned with everything I fed it. One day a friend came to me and proposed a trade. The little Jewel left me that day and in it's place there was a Ruger Mk 1. I still miss the little jewel, but I feel I got my money's worth and more! Bottom line: sometimes you get more than you expect for your money!
Stay Safe,
Savage