Author Topic: using rifle for coyote?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
using rifle for coyote?
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:03:02 AM »
I am new to coyote hunting. is there any limitation to choice of firearm for coyote hunting here In Ohio? From what I read in the hunting regs I don't see any.  I will be hunting on private land and state forest land.  thanks for the advice.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: using rifle for coyote?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »
You can use anything you want in Ohio on private land.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »
Joe

Ohio is one of the dumbest states in the country , you can use up to a 50 BMG to shoot yotes any time of year except during deer gun season when you have to use only the firearms that are legal for deer .

The point that i am trying to make is that you can use any RF , CF or shotgun to hunt yotes , most tend to stay in the 243 and below cal. to be more fur frendly . i use a 223 or a 22-250 for the most part but have used a 12ga. with #4 buck a time or 2 .

The biggest thing is to match the gun to the type of hunting you are going to do and the place that you are hunting . Just remember to think safety first .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Thanks Stimp that is what I thought, just trying to cover all my bases.  I will be using the 243 WIN Handi both private land and state forest and both are pretty big tracts of land.  On another property where we hunt private it will probably be shotguns although we do use ML there during deer season so maybe we can use CF there too, I will have to see.
I agree our state laws are pretty fouled up on calibers.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us