Author Topic: BBQ GUN REVISITED  (Read 772 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
BBQ GUN REVISITED
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:32 AM »
It is an ongoing story that I will keep you updated on--or bored with-- as the case may be.
I have wanted a BBQ Gun for some years. Not one too keep in the safe or a case--a shooter.
I finally decided life was short and the desire too great.
Several months ago I started making the final preparations. I contacted a well know Smith about advice and his packages.
I ran across a Colt series 70 which had come from the Colt shop already engraved--so I bought it---do not even ask.
Called the Smith to set up the account. I was advised that they did not want to touch the weapon because of the engraving.  Hummmm! I said I would pay the shipping and pay them to eveluate it before they refused the work.
NO! was the reply,
Called another and they also said NO.
Called Rons Gun Shop--who I had decided would do the rebluing, for advice. He offers a cabona bluing which I want AND he does restorations.
He advised that there should be no problems with the rebluing or excess damage to the engraving based on the work described.
I had been given the name of a pistolsmith--Ed Vandenberg--locally, from a member over at the Pistolsmith forum. So I contacted Ed and we set up an appointment to talk.
I visted with Ed last evening. He looked at the gun and list of work requested--most of it internal, with the exception of lowering and flaring, Heinie slant pro sights and a beavertail from Wilson too be fitted.
Ed said that there would be little damage to the engraving except in the areas too be milled for the sights and the ejection port. the beavertail area has no engraving---and yes, the gun would reqiure reblueing or coating, as the choice may be, after the work on the gun was finished.
I am happy at this point--I will let you folks know how this all works out.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

Re: BBQ GUN REVISITED
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:46:40 AM »
William, any plans for more engraving, inlays or other embelishments? What kind of grips do you have in mind with the cabona bluing?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:19:23 AM »
Williams, please excuse my ignorance, but would you be so kind as to tell me what a BBQ Gun is?

Thanks and regards,

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:15:04 AM »
anything thats custom enough to wear on your hip to attract attention at a gathering like a bbq. Basically just a custom gun. Everyone should have at least 10 of them because its not proper to wear the same one twice in the same year!!!!!!!!!!!
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
YUP!
BBQ guns and Court Guns. Engraved, enlayed in gold or silver is acceptable on a BBQ but not a Court gun. Fancy belt and scabbard.
The gun has IVORY handles. I may get some good Micarta grips for day to day shooting and carrying.
It is pretty well done. It is engraved about as much as I want--in a fashion I had thought would be good. I was pleased and that is the reason I bought it.
It will, of course take about 4/5 months to get it altogether and back.
I will try and post pictures.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
Go Bill!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »
Gentlemen,

You continue to educate me and in a very positive way entertain me as well.

While I do not have enough BBQ guns for any given season, I do my best to increase the numbers of such guns whenever the opportunities present themselves.  Regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.