Author Topic: Baikal pistols good or bad???  (Read 638 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Baikal pistols good or bad???
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
My buddy has a Baikal 380 and i was wondering are they any good?

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Baikal pistols good or bad???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:21:54 AM »
If you are speaking of the Makarov design made by Baikal, they ard considered a very dependable, well made, blowback design. They usually are quite accurate and solid.
best,                            nrb

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
If it's the Makarov, I agree, it's a very nice little gun. The fixed barrel makes it pretty acurate. The sights stink, but you'll get used to them. I'd sure rather have the 9x18 than the .380. Ammo is easy to find. These things are all over Europe.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:37:13 AM »
BigBill - the pistols themsleves are pretty good pieces of work.  They function without problem - they were designed not to have problems.  The 9x18 and the 380 are so close in ballistics that it doesn't matter what the caliber is, really.  The 9x19 can be purchased in bulk but since the 380 was never a military caliber, bulk purchases may be more costly.  Ballistically, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:01:55 AM »
I own several of the Makarov pistols from different countries.  One that I really like is the Polish P-64, which is also a 9x18.  This little gun really impressed me,  for a cheap gun ($99.00, with cleaning rod and two mags) it is one of the better shooters in all that I own.  I think it would make a very good carry gun, and has sufficent power to do the job at close range.  They have gone up in price since I bought mine, but are still a good buy at $150.00.

I think all of the Makorov pistols are well made, the P-64 is a redesigned model for civilian and police use, not as bulky as the military models.  The finish is excellent, but like Old Griz said, the sights leave something to be desired, after shooting it for a while you will get use to them, and the accuracy is good.  The major problem for me with all of the Makarov pistols is the bite when firing them.  My fat hands have been bitten several times as the hammer comes back during recycling.

For the price a good investment, and a quality little gun.  Try it, you will like it.