Author Topic: YEE HA...I Got One  (Read 731 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
YEE HA...I Got One
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
Yee Ha...My number popped for a Spring Turkey Tag in the lottery.  First time to apply and will get to hunt.  I may have to celebrate by getting a new Pardner....Hey, works for me. ;D
SB1-25C...then add the PolyChoke II.  That's the youth syn. stock 20ga with choke tube.  WOW, what a surprise...Everyone told my there was NO WAY I would get one the first year I applied, but they actually had over 50 of 160 possible tags listed as excess tags(In my Zone) that will be up for grabs by anyone who applied and didn't get one.  All tricks of the trade are welcomed by you experienced turkiey hunters.  YEE HA !

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: YEE HA...I Got One
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »
TAG for turkey? Man here in Bama we don't need no stinkin tags and can shoot up to five or six, I never can remember which. Assuming of course you can get that many to cooperate.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
Yep, it's a lottery for them, up here in Minnesota.  We can only take one, as far as I know they don't issue any bonus tags.  They have to be tagged and registered.  Two seasons, Spring and Fall.  I have seen a lot of them in the zone where I will be hunting, so I am hopeful.  But, you know how that goes...Once the shooting starts then ya almost need Radar to find em. ;D  Just like deer.
I am excited and my season doesn't even start 'till May 25th.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »
hey Cookieman, I got my tag also. this will be 2 years in a row for me, really surprised that I was drawn again. I saw in the the hunt zone I'm in they raised the number of permits by 20 this year. I'll be in Freeborn county near Iowa, where you planning on hunting?

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:25:38 AM »
I stay pretty close to home...Section 339, between Northfield and Farmington on the No. and So. and between 35W and the River on the E and W.  If ya go on the web site for the DNR, you can check out the section about bonus tags and then ya know how many were left after all applicants were chosen.  If I read it right, there are 2 seasons in my zone and they had about 50 tags, total, left as excess.  That's why I got a tag my first time applying.  Anyway, I'm happy about it.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:35:35 AM »
aldar, you're huntin' Zone 466, right.  Which season...early or late?  I DID mis-read it.  I only have 1 season in my zone...Late, May 25 -31.  They barely had 1/2 applied for.  41 or 80.  That's how I got one on 1st time.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline aldar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:56:01 AM »
yep, it's 466. me and 2 others applied for an earlier season, April something. funny thing is, I sent in one of my recievers to be fitted with a turkey barrel before I knew I was drawn. should be back in time, but if it's not, I'll try bow hunting this year.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 02:09:31 AM »
I'm leaning toward buyin' a new 20ga Pard w/screw choke and then gettin' the PolyChoke II for it.  My other option is to send in a 24" 12ga that I rarely use and have the regula PolyChoke installed on that...Maybe the ventilated recoil reducer model.  I have some time to decide, as my season isn't till Memorial Day weekend.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline aldar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:19:50 AM »
went with the 24" barrel with screw chokes. should work better than the 28" in the heavy brush or ground blind.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »
Been thinkin', maybe I'll just have my 24"12ga barrel reamed and threaded for a choke tube...for now.  I can pick up a turkey choke and then add the PolyII later.  12ga is probably the most common turkey gun and what most guys recommend.  That's the most economical way to go, for now.

cookiemann

aldar, ever taken a turkey up here??
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline aldar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
nope, got one 3 years ago here, and passed on one last year. was about 40yds and real windy, did'nt want to wound'em.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
Rich, I am not sure what they charge for threading a barrel for choke tubes where you live but the 24" Turkey barrel with an X-full choke tube is $61 from H&R, $15 for fitting and $10 for shipping plus another $10 for you shipping it to them, thats $96. Sell your fixed barrel barrel for about $45 -$50 plus shipping and a new 24" fitted barrel with an X-full choke tube would cost you just under $50. That may be cheaper than having your 24" barrel threaded...Just a thought....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
If I sold the barrel and ordered a new one, as you have suggested, your figures are pretty close to right on.  Just don't know if I want to depend on H&R to have it done on time.  There have been so many stories of how they have been so backed up the last few months.  I guess I just really need to decide what I really want to do.  I am really leaning toward buying a whole new gun.  I do have free option, the kid across the street has a youth turkey 20ga in full choke.  He said I could borrow it any time I wanted.  Just wish he would sell it to me....but it was his first shotgun and he won't, even though he never uses it since he got his 870.  Choices choices....

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"